another tank question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The tanks I have haven't been hyrod since 75 and 76. They have been kept inside and look to be in pretty good condition. Since they havent been used in a while and havent been abused do they stand a pretty good chance of passing hydro when I send them in???

I have 3-72's that are in hydro that the first hydro markings are '78, '79, & '80. That said, they have always been stored with low pressure when unused (200-700 psi) which, I believe, protected the inside. They don't have the + anymore.

--tom--:
I have 3-72's that are in hydro that the first hydro markings are '78, '79, & '80. That said, they have always been stored with low pressure when unused (200-700 psi) which, I believe, protected the inside. They don't have the + anymore.

You have to ask and the hydro facility has to be willing to do the wall stress calculation to give them the + rating. Most will not do it if not asked to. The + rating can be restored if they pass the wall stress calculations at anytime even if past hydro facilities did not + rate them

There are some facilities around me that won't fill anything prior to 88' as a procedure I guess they changed the composition of the aluminum right where the valve connects to the bottle. I heard they had a dozen or so explode on divers so now there are some dive shops around me that just wont' fill em'

brutus_scuba:
There are some facilities around me that won't fill anything prior to 88' as a procedure I guess they changed the composition of the aluminum right where the valve connects to the bottle. I heard they had a dozen or so explode on divers so now there are some dive shops around me that just wont' fill em'

I don't have to worry about the aluminum composition because my tanks are steel, but that still sucks!!!

I'd take them to a shop and have them looked at prior to sending them in for a hydro. They will remove the valves and look for rust and pitting. I'll bet they pass hydro if they are clean inside. Steel tanks last a long time if they are properly taken care of.

I have a doubble tank set up I got from a friend befor i got them their last hydro was 1971. They had been sitting in his garage for about as long with air in them. They passed hydro with no problems and after changing out the valve they make for a great small (twin 50 @ 1800 psi max) tank setup. So chances are that they stand a good chance of passing.

Steel tanks virtually never fail a hydro. What gets them condmened is extensive rusts that causes pits in the sides or bottom of the tank. The pitting then results in both a thin spoit in the tank but more importantly creates a stress rise. Pitting in a steel tank is cause to condemn it.

If your tanks have been at least partially full of air and had not standing water droplets in them, they should be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom