Please help me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Susanrosa

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys

I really hope that you can help me in here since I am close to stop taking my OW. My problem is that when I dive I get water through my nose and it goes all the way around and ends up in my mouth. It is not that it hurt really bad it is just not comfortable and ruins the joy... :(
The problem is the worst when I am going up from a dive and lean my head back to look up, that is when the bit of water that is in the nose of the mask goes through my nose (and sinus?) and into my mouth. It is as if I dont have the closing mecanism in the nose that I know for example small babies have.
I have the same if I jump into a pool, then the water does the same and I have stop and wait until the water have runned all the way out from my nose to the mouth.
My diving instructor just look strangely at me and tell me to stop breathing through nose. But I am NOT breathing through my nose... it just goes through... then he told me to go and see a doctor then... :sad_2:

Is there anyone who have the same problem?? And how do you awoid it when you are diving? Or is it really me that has a problem because none of the ones I am taking the course with have the same problem.

Regards Susanrosa

You are likely still trying to inhale through your nose.

Practice breathing in and out of your mouth only.

You can also try breathing in through your mouth and out your nose, but keep in mind that will likely cause some mask fogging.

Get comfortable and proficient with clearing your mask as well, that way no water in it to get in your nose.

But I am really not breathing through my nose... I have been snorkeling for many years and I am used to breath through my mouth... It is not something that I have tried this one time it happens everytime I am in a pool as well. And it happens the moment I am hitting the water. But with having tried it this many times... one thing I know for sure is that it is not because of my breathing. Would wish it was just it... :sad_2:

Exhale through your nose...usually that's a good way to keep water out. :wink:

Susanrosa:
But I am really not breathing through my nose... I have been snorkeling for many years and I am used to breath through my mouth... It is not something that I have tried this one time it happens everytime I am in a pool as well. And it happens the moment I am hitting the water. But with having tried it this many times... one thing I know for sure is that it is not because of my breathing. Would wish it was just it... :sad_2:

It's prolly such an ingrained and unconcious act you dont even realize it. Try pinching your nose shut through your mask for a few breaths and see if you notice a difference.

SparB: Hmmm yeah maybe I should try to exhale slightly through my nose when I go up and therefore have my head bend back...

Cave diver: Yeah I know it could be an unconcius act but i find it hard to believe especially becuase I am very aware of it, and is focusing on not breathing. IF I am still breathing without being aware of it, eventhough I focus fully on it - how would I ever be able to change it?
But as I said I am 99% sure that it is not because I am breathing through my nose, that is also why this is so frustrating because everybody tells me just not to breath through my nose...

Maybe I should go and see the ear and nose doctor as my instructor suggested maybe he can give me clarification... :huh:

Thanks for your replies! And please write if you have any suggestions for me... :wink:

Snorkeling is different than SCUBA; while snorkeling/swimming you are not breathing unless you are on the surface. SCUBA you will breathe underwater. I would say that a good amount of people use their nasal and oral airways simultaneoulsy to breathe normally. It is unconscious. You are taking a breathe while submerged in water, and until you are properly experienced your body will breathe as if on land.

I had a problem when I began diving with a freeflow of air out of my nose. This was caused by surfing; when i duck-dive under waves I constantly exhale out of my nose so I can be ready to breathe when I get back to the surface. To solve this problem I had to concentrate on my breathing and also a few times during the dive physically squeeze my nose closed for a couple of moments. After a couple of respirations I could let go of my nose and continue diving. I have no problems with it now.

The problem with water entering the nose and getting into the mouth is not serious, just unpleasant. In fact it's made to do that; if water enters through the nose you can spit most of it out through the mouth instead of it going straight into the lungs <--- not good!!! Don't worry about it.

To solve your problem: Make sure your mask fits well, with no leaks. Practice your mask clearing and proper equalizing of your mask to avoid a squeeze (as you get deeper the mask will get tighter forcing you to gently blow out through your nose to equalize the pressure. TALK to your instructor they may have encountered this before!!!

Also you shouldn't have a whole lot of water in your mask, otherwise IT IS LEAKING. Water will get into your mask, but it will be minimal with experience <---- EXPERIENCE,EXPERIENCE, EXPERIENCE. Everybody sucks at everything when they first start :wink:

Your first salt water dive should be fun, cuz saltwater in the nose is a BLAST:D

He he thanks a lot for the reply.

It sounds like you have tried it to. I am glad to hear that - was afraid that I was the only one who experienced this. I you can get it to disapear then it have to be possible for me as well. :chicken:

I will try and tighten my mask, but it is only a little bit that gets in at the nose area. I have talked to my instructor but he havent heard about it before. The problem can be that I am living in Kuala Lumpur at the moment and that none of us (me or the instructor) has english as our main language... :wink: Eventhough he is actually pretty good at english.

But thanks for the suggestions. :wink:

As you have noticed, and Havnmonkey commented on, your nose is connected to your mouth. There is essentially no way to keep from getting a small amount of water in the nose pocket of the mask. Since the water is there it will always run into your nose when you look upward(tilt your head up towards the surface). The solution is to NOT look upward from a vertical position in the water column. Learn to stay horizontal during the dive as well as during the ascent. Also train yourself to clear you mask just prior to looking up if you really do need to look upward especially if you need to go become vertical. This will minimize the amount of water that will run into you nose. Also, with time, you will get used to having a little water up the nose and it won't bother you as much. I've gotten a lot of water up the snot locker during the rescue portion of OW classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom