Going to Cozumel for first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to go down the main page to the Travel section. Look for Mexico and then Cozumel. There's more info there than you'll be able to read in a week. Fun place to dive. One of my favorites.

Barry

Palancar Gradens is really nice, as is Columbia. For your second / third dive, check out the Cedars ( I forgot the Spanish name ).
Have a great time!

Definitely do Palancar. Palancar Caves is striking, but it tends to be deep. Make sure you're comfortable with that. Columbia is a great dive, too, and I enjoyed Punta Tuniche. There really are very few "bad" dives in Cozumel. Every one of them offers something special, so if you know what aspects you want to see, let us know and we can offer a specific site that will cater to that. For example, if you're into macro, or perhaps turtles, or even shark sitings, there are specific sites that would be better than others. There's a lot to see, so have a great time and be sure to give a report when you return.
By the way, welcome to SB!

Great choice for a dive destination! The shallower reefs got pretty beat up from Wilma last year, but I was there in December and its still a very fishy place. If you're into fish watching, pick up Paul Humann and Ned DeLoach's book Caribbean Reef Fish Identification to learn about and recognize the fishes that will keep you company on your dives.

Because Coz is all drift diving, divers have a tendency to blow by the reef like freight trains. If the current's not too wild, and you and your buddy are pretty shallow (you'll burn through a tank of air too fast if you do this deep), occasionally turn and fin into the current to hold a steady position on the reef. Just hover and observe the amazing life all around you. Be sure and let your DM know this is what you plan on dong. Your DM may get a bit fussy if you leave the group and don't let him/her know ahead of time.

I'd also recommend you stop by Aqua Safari dive shop on the main drag next to McDonald's and ask for Sheryl Shea. She is the local R.E.E.F. fish ID expert and regularly offers fish ID classes/dives.

Be sure to look under ledges and in little holes for the illusive Spendid Toadfish -- found only in Cozumel's waters. And remember to take along a safety sausage. No diver should ever enter the ocean without one -- especially when drift diving.

The Cozumelenos are wonderful people. The food is terrific at the many little restaraunts off the main drag. This post makes me miss the great pico de gallo -- I ate a gallon of it in a week! If you try to speak a little Spanish, the locals will go the extra mile for you everytime.

Dive safe and amaze us with a glowing trip report when you get back!

If you have enough experience you will have to do Punta Sur at least once. Down to 130 feet thru a tunnel ("devils throat"). I've heard the sponge cross is gone, bummer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom