extra air source???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can you use a regular second stage regulator for an auxillary air source, or do you have to use an octopus regulator made for it???

an octo and second stage are the same thing.

I think the OP is referring to a regular reg vs. the often detuned regs used as octos.

Any second stage is fine on any reasonably sized bottle (I don't consider spare air "reasonably sized")

Octos are nothing but a regular second stage that may (or may not) have a different colors on them. Many times they are the bottom end of a second stage line, none of the knobs or external adjustments. There are a few exceptions to this. Some second stages are made that were intended to only be used as octos. They typically are inexpensive and not nearly as well built as a second staged intended to be used as a primary. I use a Mares Proton as my octo because I wanted a good quality octo that was in a smaller package. Some will detune the octo so it is less likely to freeflow, something I don't care for.

I use the 2nd stage from a Zeagle Envoy with my Apeks. It works beautifully as an octo.

Well I have 2 regulators...a scubapro and a sub-aquatic, both older primary regulators. I'm thinking of using the scubapro as my primary and the other as an octo. and was gonna see if that would work. but the one i'm gonna use as an octo. isn't bright colored it has the chrome housing just like my primary.

You can slide a colored hose sleeve down on the second stage, or even a colored mouthpiece if you want to do so.

BTW, if it's Sub Aquatic Systems, they flamed out in the early eighties. I taught with them for a while back in those days. That sounds like a really old regulator.

Chad

hugedodge2000:
Well I have 2 regulators...a scubapro and a sub-aquatic, both older primary regulators. I'm thinking of using the scubapro as my primary and the other as an octo. and was gonna see if that would work. but the one i'm gonna use as an octo. isn't bright colored it has the chrome housing just like my primary.

If you are a new diver, please make sure you have all your regulator parts checked out and serviced by your LDS. If you got them from someone who no longer dives or from ebay, they need to go to the shop.

They were my dads. He used to dive alot and he gave me all his gear. Very well taken care of but yes i'm having my dive shop checkout everything before i use that set of equipment!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom