What kind of dive computer should I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatrick

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I google and found some nice “how to buy a dive computer” articles. However I still couldn’t make up my mind. I’m a new diver (just got certified some weeks ago) who plans to dive 3 to 4 times a year (most likely 2 tropical ocean dives and 2 lake dives in Great Lake). The following are factors that I have to decide:

- Nitrox? Should I buy the one that supports Nitrox? I never dove with Nitrox and don’t know when will I do it. I’ve heard that everybody will dive Nitrox in the future. How soon is that that “future”? Should I spend extra $200 to get Nitrox compatible dive computer?

- air integrated? I like the idea that a dive computer helps monitor the amount of air left in the tank and alert divers when it’s time to surface. I’ve heard that’s another extra $200 to spend if I want that feature. Is it worthy? Is there any cheaper solution?

- buy online or buy local? Dive computers don’t need to be inspected every year (please correct me if I’m wrong). So I prefer to buy it online. Is that a good idea?

If you know any reliable/affordable dive computers, please let me know the brand and model. I don’t even know where to start. Please share your opinion. Thank you.

I wouldn't spend the money on a nice computer if you are only going to use it 4 times a year. I would look into the price of renting one the few times you will actually use it.

I've already dived a dozen times this year and don't have a computer. I would have dived more, but I had to take a month off for knee surgery as soon as the water was warm enough.

I do plan on getting a computer for next season though.

I generally prefer to turn the cost into a "per dive" price for comparision sake. You say you only plan on diving 3-4 times per year so let's spread it over three years for a total of 12 dives.

Should you buy one that supports Nitrox? I did because it was less than $100 more and figured I'd be taking my diving in that direction. I was right. The future is now but the biggest benefits behind Nitrox are increased NDLs and using during decompression stops, neither of which you most likely have to worry about at the moment, at at 4 dives per year, it will be quite a while before you do (unless you are a small female in good shape).

Air integrated? Bleh! Another expense and something else that can break. Cheaper? A pressure gauge. $60 online for plastic, under $100 for high quality brass & glass.

Online vs. LDS: I prefer online because the costs are so much higher here but if I were in the US I'd reasearch a couple of acceptable ones then hit some of the local shops and see if they'd come close.

IMO, the best deal in dive computers right now is the Nitek Plus. It'll do two different mixtures of gas, is the size of a regular watch (not a good feature if you have bad eyesight, stick with a hockey puck computer then) and runs $350. Downside is that you can't change the batteries yourself. If you aren't careful, you'll end up with some console mounted, air-integrated computer that costs $700 only to find out you can't even change the batteries without sending it to the manufacturer.

For a basic computer, it's hard to go wrong with the Aeris XR-1 or XR-2 (air & nitrox computers). Order them through Scubatoys for $150-$250 after asking for the SB discount. You can change the batteries in these computers and they have large numbers.

Are you sure you want to add $10-20 to the cost of each dive?

ppatrick:
- air integrated? I like the idea that a dive computer helps monitor the amount of air left in the tank and alert divers when it’s time to surface. I’ve heard that’s another extra $200 to spend if I want that feature. Is it worthy? Is there any cheaper solution?

Alternatively, one might consider that if you need the computer to warn you that you are low on air, you probably want to reconsider your diving methodology :wink:

A simple spg is cheaper and more reliable IMO. Get one and read the excellent advice (from people far smarter and more experienced than me), on calculating Rock Bottom pressures (do a search on that term in the forum).

Nitrox? Yes
Air-integrated? No
Online or LDS? Online

That's my vote, for the reasons already stated above. I have a Suunto Vyper and I love it.

DO NOT waste your money on a Suunto. I own a Cobra and it is fine for diving. But, after you plunk several hundred dollars on the computer they then bend you over the counter for another $100 for the USB cable to download the dives to your PC. One problem - the ridiculous software doesn't work. I've tried to download dives on 5 (yes 5...I'm a software developer) different computers. Good luck getting any sort of support to fix the problems.

Need proof? Do a quick web search for "Suunto dive manager" and read all the other hundreds of people who got screwed by Suunto, can't get this thing to work and can't get their money back.

</rant>

Aeris Atmos 2, love mine.

Matt19380:
DO NOT waste your money on a Suunto. I own a Cobra and it is fine for diving. But, after you plunk several hundred dollars on the computer they then bend you over the counter for another $100 for the USB cable to download the dives to your PC. One problem - the ridiculous software doesn't work. I've tried to download dives on 5 (yes 5...I'm a software developer) different computers. Good luck getting any sort of support to fix the problems.

Need proof? Do a quick web search for "Suunto dive manager" and read all the other hundreds of people who got screwed by Suunto, can't get this thing to work and can't get their money back.

</rant>

Never had any problem downloading mine on several computers. I'll agree that the interface on the software leaves a lot to be desired, but I've never had a problem downloading and looking at dive data.

Let me say this first ... as far as brand OCEANIC!!! Read the manufacture's Q&A and you'll see why.

That aside... how much can you spend... and i mean throw into a can and burn for you. With 4 dives a year you do not need a computer. Now everyone in diving wants one... but if you are worried about money, then save it.

If you list a price range I can help better.
Buy a model that lets the user change the battery.
Buy @ LDS if you need support and can get a deal... tell them straight forward the price of the online unit... if they give compelling reason to buy from them, let them earn your business.

Me, either. I have 2 Vytecs and a Stinger and all of them download fine to XP. I think the Dive Manager software is pretty darn good. I use it for my dive log. It is very customizable for just about anything you want to do, it will keep track of all of your gear, and it makes purdy graphs... it even does SACs and such. I use version 1.6 and like it a lot. It ain't perfect but it is the best that I've seen. I tried a later version but didn't care for it as much.

I agree that it burns to have to BUY the download cable when these things are as expensive as they are... but it is the same with Oceanic and probably many of the others as well. At one time we had a guy around here that built and sold home-made cables for a fraction of the price... but he literally vanished... leaving a few guys high and dry, IIRC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom