Different sort of gear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skybird

Reaction score
I am having some back problems.......very little sometimes, a lot others. My doctor and my chiopractor have both told me that diving is one of the best things I can do, but to get someone to haul my gear. I HATE having to get someone to haul my gear. I am looking for some kind of cart or dolly that would serve this purpose. I have heard of someone getting one in florida that even had pnermatic tires? Any ideas?

Skybird

it really depends on how much you want to spend but there are bags and cases designed for scuba gear with wheels but those tend to be quite expensive... my suggestion.. steal a shopping cart.. just kidding but there are cheaper alternatives like going to staples and getting the trolley type kart and loading it up with a crate on the bottom and tank strapped to the top.. either way you go.. good luck with the back... i also have a back injury (herniated disc) no fun and definitly makes getting in the water a painful experience.. and cant really exercise like i want to... but at least it makes me focus on building up back muscles.. anyways gl :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I also thought about a luggage cart. I just need to have something that will go okay over gravel or sand. Sorry about your back stuff too. No fun ! I sure was glad my doctor said diving was GOOD for my back. I might have gone against doctor's orders.

Skybird

They make those things for golf bags that have some pretty hardcore tires, and you can even get them with a motor and remote control. Def. not a cheap alternative like but just a thought

hey np... yeah sand would be kind of a problem but then again you could just drag it through it... it also might be possible to change out the tires if they are on a single axel and have a bolt on the outside of the tires... do a little swap for some muddin' or rock climbing 4X4 tires :D that might actaully work... if you have a hobbie shop near they should sell RC cars and they have some cool tires available (that way you could also get some nice rims :) that would also accent the chrome on the shopping cart :wink: ) anyways good luck

i saw a tank booty that had wheels on it.

Jorbar1551:
i saw a tank booty that had wheels on it.
little wheels, I assume? I've seen those but not in a while. The wheels are too small for sand, not much good for anything but pretty smooth surfaces.

Hey Skybird,

There was a contest posted on scuba radio of the very recent that had a "wheeled" tank boot. I would think that it would be an excellent choice for your needs, provided you don't have to negotiate a lot of rocks.

What would be cool is if you could find out who makes it and see if they could make a 4 wheeled (dual axle) version so you can add a tread to both sides so it can travel over sand like a tank!!

http://www.scubaradio.com/index.cfm?sector=contest&page=contest

http://www.overstock.com/sm-wheeled-scuba-tank-boot--pg-PROFRAME_pi-1135978_ti-82124.html

Go to your local Home Depot. Get a hand truck with pnuematic tires, and a couple bungee cords. Total price ~$55. Works great, can do steps, sand, etc. When my steel doubles arrive, they are going STRAIGHT to the hand truck.

Skybird,

Based on your comments in this thread you seem to be looking for one cart that will work for both boats and shore dives. Am I correct?

For boats space is at a premium so a medium size utility cart may make the most sense. You may need to make multiple trips from the car to the boat and you will still need to lift the gear out of the car. Many, but not all, boats have large carts available for use of their passengers. On a boat you often still need to hand carry your gear from the dock on to the boat, this is often awkward. Calling ahead of time and trying to make arrangements with the captain may be your best choice in these situations. Heck, you might just get to the dock and offer to pay someone for their help.

For shore dives the large pneumatic tires will make a huge difference. For these situations you might be best served by going to Home Depot or some similar store and just looking at the hand trucks, yard carts, and wheel barrows. If your shore dives are from areas where there are stairs down to the water you are still in a bit of a pickle, so it would pay to have a really nice buddy.:D

You might think about one of these large wagon style carts. Some of these are pretty expensive and you may not have room in your car for the cart and also the dive gear, but it is a place to start.

Food luck,

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom