A Bad Experience and Lessons learned.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronniemu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver whom only made 15 dives. In order for me to go diving and gain experience I joined a diving club. Yesterday, I went with three experienced divers for a beach dive at the Old Ponquogue Bridge located on Long Island, New York. The least experience diver had made about 50 dives and had his AOW and rescue certification. The second diver had much more experience, and the third diver was a divemaster. The tide tables showed high slack at 12:41 PM. We descended into the water from the bulkhead at 12:08 P.M. The current was so strong that I was unable to stay with any of my buddies. Within two minutes, I had to surface alone, the current was too strong, I could not hold onto anything underwater. After ascending, I swam across the current on my back. I had an extremely difficult time swimming back to the bulkhead, at times I did not think I would make it. Within a few minutes after reaching shore, one of the divers I went with, whom had logged about 50 dives and had his AOW and rescue certification, came to the surface. He tried unsuccessful to reach shore; another diver whom was not with our group went out to assist him in getting to shore. At this time we did not know the whereabouts of the other two divers (divemaster and experienced diver).

Thanks to everyone here for sharing your experience and knowledge from my previous postings, regards, Ronnie

At 12:22 PM, the diver whom was pulled to safety and I again descended, the current again was very strong, I manage at this time to find a rock and hold onto it. I decided to hold on and not move until the current stopped. Finally at about 12:43, the tide stop, we were able to swim around and then had a most enjoyable time. After the dive we finally found the divemaster and the seasoned divers. The seasoned diver found a hole to stay in until the current stop and the divemaster was holding onto parts of the bridge. I had researched this particular diving spot at the Old Ponquogue Bridge. A newspaper article stated that this site must be only dived at only slack tide as it would be very hazardous if the current is running.

I am submitting this event, not to belittle anyone, but in the hopes that it would help other less experience divers like myself. I had learned a value lesson. I would love to hear from others whom had similar experiences and from others whom can share their knowledge with dealing with tides and currents.

Thanks to everyone here for sharing your experience and knowledge in my previous post. regards to all, Ronnie

Well, for me, if it's a mild current, just go along or go under.. If it's a strong current, I would simply abort the dive.. Ratih Dewi

Hi, I did the Bridge yesterday also. The tide was late. As an experienced diver I could see this. I wrote on my slate that the tide is late an we waited at a piling. Watch the Sea grass and debries heading west on incoming tide. When the tide slacked we took off. Watching the sea grass start to move east signifies the tide is turning again and time to head back. It's a good site but you have to know how to read the current as well as a watch.

I was originally planning on being there Sunday too. I am very happy I bailed when our guide had to cancel. Would not have wanted to have a first visit like yours. (I do not consider myself experienced at 100 dives btw). I heard the previous weekend a couple of 'rescues' were peformed there too. I am getting a bit nervous about this site... Glad you are OK.

That's a tough way to experience that site the first time. Good for you, you kept your cool and aborted. I shore dive a lot and this kind of stuff can happen. I typically like to wait 5 minutes after the slack prediction to be sure. Also, get out sooner too. Play it safe and come back another day!

I dove the site on July 15. the high tide charts are approximatly 30 minutes off. you need to be in the water late and then you have approximatly 35 to 40 minutes of slack. you experienced buddies should have known that.
Do not get discouraged. for long island it is a nice shore dive and the viz on that day was 20 ft or better. you should try it again. I am planing to do a night dive ther next Thursday with my friends. next time you dive it just get there on time and wait under the pier until slack.

builder2000:
I dove the site on July 15. the high tide charts are approximatly 30 minutes off. you need to be in the water late and then you have approximatly 35 to 40 minutes of slack. you experienced buddies should have known that.
Do not get discouraged. for long island it is a nice shore dive and the viz on that day was 20 ft or better. you should try it again. I am planing to do a night dive ther next Thursday with my friends. next time you dive it just get there on time and wait under the pier until slack.

Thanks for the information, other than getting into the water too early, I had a great time. The viz was at least 20 feet and the best viz so far on Long Island that I seen. The best part that day was all the people I met there. had a great time. I am new to diving and I met so many nice and helpful people. Thanks again!

Ronnie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom