Nitrox for some or all of my AOW Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stever2002

Contributor
Reaction score
I just took (and passed! :D ) the Nitrox class last night. This weekend, I'm going for my AOW.

The shop is giving me my choice of taking a Nitrox tank *AND* a regular tank, so I don't HAVE to do all the dives using Nitrox if I don't want to.

Obviously this is going to be the first time I breath the stuff, so my question is: Should I dive some or all of my AOW dives using Nitrox?

For AOW I'm going to have 5 dives over two days: a Wreck Dive, Deep Dive (~95'), Multi Level Dive, Night Dive & Navigation Dive.

Thanks,
...steve...

stever2002:
I
Obviously this is going to be the first time I breath the stuff, so my question is: Should I dive some or all of my AOW dives using Nitrox?

For AOW I'm going to have 5 dives over two days: a Wreck Dive, Deep Dive (~95'), Multi Level Dive, Night Dive & Navigation Dive.

Thanks,
...steve...

We recently started diving nitrox and I will always use at least that from now on (move up to tri mix for deeper maybe). I say that because of the increased bottom time and decreased post-dive tiredness.

Nitrox could keep you a little more energized. Some feel that the greater amount of O2 will not make you as regular AIR after a day of diving.

However, how comfortable are you with your tables? If you have your AIR and Nitrox tables down, I mean without a doubt, then dive Nitrox it rules. If you have any doubts about doing the tables or planning your dive, stick with AIR because you are going to be jamming your head with other info from the class. Keep it simple and don't push yourself into something your not ready to do.

By the way, you can use Nitrox on the AIR time tables; just don't exceed your MOD. That could add a level of safety between you and DCS.

When I did my AOW dives I was on Nitrox for all of them and I had no problems breathing Nitrox. What I found out is that it gave me more time in the water because it reduced my Surface Interval Times between repetitive dives. So I say to you Dive Nitrox.

Why not? Just make sure that you don't exceed your MOD on your deep dive. Talk to your instructor about the max depth of your deep dive, analyze your tank, and look at your tables to make sure that you aren't going to exceed your 1.4 ata MOD.

amascuba:
Why not? Just make sure that you don't exceed your MOD on your deep dive. Talk to your instructor about the max depth of your deep dive, analyze your tank, and look at your tables to make sure that you aren't going to exceed your 1.4 ata MOD.
If someone doesn't know this in general... they shouldn't have a nitrox card.

All,

I am VERY comfortable with the tables and MODs. I'll probably dive it for the entire weekend.

Thanks for the feedback.

...steve...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom