mask suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pipelayers

Reaction score
I'm sure there are people out there that dive and have a mustache. How do you get your mask to seal. If I trimmed it really short would that help? I haven't started diving yet but I snorkel and it is really uncomfortable to have water in your nose all the time. I clear my mask all the time but it is really a pain in the but. Is there a solution or should I just shave?

I have heard that spreading some silicone grease on your mustache helps seal it against the mask. Note that I have no firsthand experience though.

Or Vaseline.

Hey Brother I had the same problem. Trim the stach down a little and if that doesn't work use a little bit of vasoline just under your nose and that should seal it up. The trim worked for me.

No to Vaseline! Vaseline is a petroleum based product which long term can cause deterioration of the silicone that masks are made of.

I usually trim just uner my nose the night before diving then my mask seals fine. If I forget to trim, then I either clear my mask a lot, use moustache wax or silicone gel.

Go to as many shops as you can and try every mask they have. There will be one or more out there that will give you a good seal. There is only one that I have found outside of the old Dixi Cup masks that gives me a good seal over the stash.

Gary D.

I trim it close when I'm diving, and I keep one of those sunblock sticks in my mask case. (looks like a big chapstick)

I rub it on my stache before diving and it usually helps seal it pretty good. (and afterwards you can rub it on your nose to prevent sunburn!)

I'll second the wax. And also no Vaseline. As was said it will deteriorate the silicone.

jbichsel:
No to Vaseline! Vaseline is a petroleum based product which long term can cause deterioration of the silicone that masks are made of.

I usually trim just uner my nose the night before diving then my mask seals fine. If I forget to trim, then I either clear my mask a lot, use moustache wax or silicone gel.

exactly!, NO to vaseline, trust me, it was a $95 mistake, lesson learned
and YES to trimming under your nose

Back
Top Bottom