Hovering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was doing my skills check out for DM class and I got through everything except for the hovering. I just cannot seem to stay still long enough to fold my legs and hover Indian style. But I have absolutely no problem doing fin pivots or hovering horizontally. Any advice?

I find that skill difficult myself, plus I don't see a need to master it anyway.

Yes, its part of PADI, and please don't let this turn into a PADI bashing thread, it may seem stupid but its what they require and I have to do, and not only well but I have to be able to demonstrate it with quality.

PADI I think has it as a skill for OW, maybe for DM too.

ffdiver:
Yes, its part of PADI, and please don't let this turn into a PADI bashing thread, it may seem stupid but its what they require and I have to do, and not only well but I have to be able to demonstrate it with quality.

Okily dokily...

Will they allow you to demonstrate buoyancy control without crossing your legs? I think it would be far more advantageous in the real world to be able to hover motionless in the horizontal position to simulate a deco stop for example...

You may try playing with your trim and adding weights to your back tank straps; this may help you get into the right position. Otherwise, it's practice, practice, practice

It's all in the breathing. With half full lungs, you should be motionless. If not, adjust your buoyancy as required.
Your weighting is also important to reduce or eliminate the amout of air in your BCD that will be affected by depth changes.
I'm not sure why your orientation is causing a problem. If you can hover in horizontal trim, you should be able to perform the same in this position.
How many dives do you have?

ffdiver,
All I can say is that if you can hover with ease in the horizontal position for an extended period of time, you obviously understand the concept and the mechanics of neutral bouyancy. To be neutrally bouyant in that cross-legged, vertical position you simply need to spend more time practicing in that position--it will come to you. It is a somewhat "goofy" position for diving but it can serve the purpose of demonstrating neutral bouyancy in a vertical position in shallow water i.e. a swimming pool.

Whether or not you or any other person agrees with the position it is something that you must master and you must present it well when you work with a class.

Good luck!!

ffdiver:
I was doing my skills check out for DM class and I got through everything except for the hovering. I just cannot seem to stay still long enough to fold my legs and hover Indian style. But I have absolutely no problem doing fin pivots or hovering horizontally. Any advice?
Hi
Actually, the PADI requirement is to hover motionless for 30 seconds, but makes no mention of position. I have my students hover horizontally. Another position I have seen used often, even at my IDC, was to be kneeling on the bottom of the pool (or ocean) and take off from there. The diver reaches down and holds their ankles to keep the structure stable. That position might be much easier for you...

Best of luck.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom