I screwed up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeamWaldenDiving

Registered
Reaction score
Ok so everyone here can laugh at me here it is!

I was out at the Flower Gardens NMS last week and decided to dive a shorty like a lot of people do out there. Unfortunately for me I found out the hard way that I'm a little more allergic to jellyfish that I previously thought. We dove West and East banks without incident. Saw the usual, grouper, shrimp, actually found a nice size conch. (My wife Dawnskies, tells me that it was the biggest conch she's ever seen so I said "Thank you", she didn't think it was funny, I did) Then we dove Stetson, saw 2 sandbar sharks, nice sized too, but anyone who's ever dove Stetson knows everything down there's bigger than everywhere else (insert joke here). I kept getting stung and stung and stung by jellyfish. They were everywhere! I get this unbelieeable headache every time I dive Stetson, Dunno why? So we surface, and everything seems okay. We get back to the dock, and I notice all these "hives" on my arms and legs where the jelly's stung me. Long story short, I went to a Dr. got a shot in the backside (insert another joke here) and some meds. So from now on I'll just be diving a long suit thanks.

TeamWaldenDiving:
Ok so everyone here can laugh at me here it is!

I was out at the Flower Gardens NMS last week and decided to dive a shorty like a lot of people do out there. Unfortunately for me I found out the hard way that I'm a little more allergic to jellyfish that I previously thought. We dove West and East banks without incident. Saw the usual, grouper, shrimp, actually found a nice size conch. (My wife Dawnskies, tells me that it was the biggest conch she's ever seen so I said "Thank you", she didn't think it was funny, I did) Then we dove Stetson, saw 2 sandbar sharks, nice sized too, but anyone who's ever dove Stetson knows everything down there's bigger than everywhere else (insert joke here). I kept getting stung and stung and stung by jellyfish. They were everywhere! I get this unbelieeable headache every time I dive Stetson, Dunno why? So we surface, and everything seems okay. We get back to the dock, and I notice all these "hives" on my arms and legs where the jelly's stung me. Long story short, I went to a Dr. got a shot in the backside (insert another joke here) and some meds. So from now on I'll just be diving a long suit thanks.
ummmm................................. OW????????:D

Or a skin under your shorty.

Yes you learned the hard way. I remember down in Key Largo one year when a group of teens were getting certified. Because it was so hot, these guys were wearing no wetsuits at all, only bathing suits and no tops. Some of them because of buoyancy issues, got scraped pretty nicely against fire coral. Their instructor had to apply vinegar to all of them.

I've always worn a full wetsuit just for protection more than anything else. The odd time, I might not wear my jacket and just use my farmer john but my legs are always covered to protect from the elements.

Hahahahahaha (well you said to laugh)...

Yes it is annoying to have to get this, but look at it this way (and this is my motto):
'Two went down and two came up. Not made any popcorn'.

Whatever happened down there is a lesson we learn from and apply a solution to in the future.

Hope the meds work qiuckly and you will be down again soon

When I was in the FG last Labor Day, the water was around 85. I did wear a skin though because I like to have some protection in case I mess up somehow. But a skin doesn't totally protect you from jellyfish stings. Sorry about your stings.

Jelly fish stings are never funny even if you are the one watching.

When I was in Aus studying, the warnings bout box jellies were taken very seriously. Even here in Singapore we have one of the highest population of jellies so diving in shorties or just skins is not advisable.

I got stung on the lips once and it was Mr puffy for a week.

SangP

My wife swam into a bunch of little ones not knowing what they were when we were getting cert. I thought it was funny until I had to take care of a stung up upset woman the rest of the trip LOL

I tried to suggest here that shorties were for jet skiers only, and dive shops should stop selling them, but I got blasted. So now I only offer my suggestions on this when requested or when it comes up like this. Yes, its' foolish to wear a shorty!! Foolhardy at least. I own 3 jumpsuits and 2 skins - all longs for the extra protection. I even wear synthetic socks to protect my ankles. Besides jellies, man-of-wars, wrecks, rocks and other things in the water, there is the ladder, etc. and nasty bacterias you don't want to experience.

If you ever get a scrap in salt water, and it looks worse the next day, go to ER. You don't have time for an appointment. We lose a few Texans every year this way, usually fishermen. :(

I wonder what the Cyberskin is like -- supposed to be a 0.5mm. Off to Roatan next month, and I run warm, so either just a skin or try that...

Back
Top Bottom