Just a moment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DOkie

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sorry if this is something that isn't discussed here, but just thought I'd share one of the most "enlightening" moments of my life...

Both my husband and I were raised in strict religious homes, but for years now he's joked that he goes to the Church of Underwater Revival. (We rarely attend mass anymore). Because of some things that have happened in our lives, I believe that both of us had lost faith in anything "higher powered". I've underwent numerous surgeries for cancer (at age 29 and up), which led to our farm being foreclosed, he broke his back, etc. etc. etc... Recently we found out that our son's (he's 13) heart condition has been upgraded to terminal because he is not a candidate for a heart/lung transplant. (Just a little background)

Last Sunday, we went diving. I was letting everything get to me and was basically having a semi-private pity party. (Of course my husband would say it really wasn't all THAT private - ha ha) The waves turned really bad and my husband surfaced to talk to the captain of the boat for a couple of minutes leaving me on the bottom at 30'. I was having quite an arguement with "God" when I asked the stupid question (seriously) "Can't You just give me a few moments of peace"? This is no joke. A school of about 2000 pearch came out of nowhere and proceeded to "school" (for lack of better words) around me. It was so incredible that I could stick my arm out and they would swim around it making it disappear. They stayed within a foot of me on all sides. This lasted for what seemed to be 2 minutes and they were gone. I was so bummed because I couldn't share this with anyone until we got back on the boat and my husband said "I couldn't find you and then I saw you in the middle of all of those fish!!!! What was happening??" It was incredible and the Church of Underwater Revival has a new member. :)

You have stated why many of us dive.
I know for me the unreal events that happen as a diver ~ keep me going back.

Life is hard. It has been nothing like I was taught it would be.
While my experiences are not like yours.
Life has knocked me to the ground and beat me up more than once.

The friends I have made diving, the hundreds of hours spent underwater ~
They are a few of the things that make me happy to wake up every morning.

Having the chance to have a Giant Pacific Octopus reach out to YOU...
wrap its tenticle around your hand and gently give you a pat ~ then have it slowly retreat.
Moments that make you stop and pause...
My buddies and I explain that we are members of "The Church of the Living Water"

I have found more to make me beliver at 100' than I have ever found on a pew.

Welcome Sistah... The best part of being a member of this church is that you are welcome to attend anywhere, at any time. Friends await you world wide.

Welcome (Scub)aBoard!
:admingreet:
Laurens

Welcome to Scubaboard...

Scuba is a lot cheaper and more fun than Therapy..... Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Yep, I'd say you got instant delivery on that prayer. Best wishes to ya...!!

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:cowboy2: don

smiley-linie-009.gif

Welcome to the Crazy world of the scubaboard! If you ever need any advice or help, we're here for you. Sounds like you need to dive into the "church" for some peace and quiet more often, a wonderful calming experience.

Britt
CrazyScuba.com :fish:

Welcome to the board.

Welcome to SB from the chilly, orca infested waters of Puget Sound...

(I echo the expressions written nicely by Cold H2O)

Sea ya!

"in silence, I walk with God"

The Warrior's Prayer, Stuart Wilde.

There is a spiritual side, a tranquility I find when I dive recreationally. It is my time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom