PADI Underwater Navigation course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone taken the PADI Underwater Navigation specialty course? If so, what is the format for this class? PADI's web site says only three OW dives are needed. Is there a classroom portion to this class? Thanks for any info.

You will have to complete a Knowledge Review Also, you will also do some "dry land" training in order to teach you proper use of the compass, how to figure distances, dive patterns, etc.

Then you will do your three dives that will include the following:

Natural & Compass Navigation
Distance Estimation
Various Swim Patterns using the Compass
Navigating a Pre-determined Course with a Compass
Multiple-leg Compass Course

Etc.

It is a GREAT course that will be very useful whenever you dive. You will be able to navigate underwater to a dive spot (thus saving energy), be able to dive in low vis... lots of applications!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me.

Have fun!

~SubMariner~

I did the course a few months ago and wrote a report about it in this thread. I expect the details differ a bit from place to place, depending on the environment, but I enjoyed it and found it worthwhile.

Zept

I did the navigation course. We had terrible vis. that day, but we were told that was good, because then we would really be navigating.....I did learn some, but I need more practice....:).....I should also mention I passed. I'm very hard on myself. Although I was told I was doing everything great....I think I should have done better...*sigh*

Just completed this course today....

Amazingly good course (helps to have an instructor who uses navigation alot, both under the water and in his plane!). Takes practice and practical and joins them together. I realized AGIAN that the compass is always right, and that's a good thing.

Highly recommend this course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom