Funny taste in Air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
I've recently been getting my tanks filled at a different dive shop than normally go to. I noticed the air has a different bitter taste when breathing off reg underwater. I don't know if I'm imagining things. Should I mention to shop? Air doesn't smell any different when hit purge valve.

Just curious if anyone has experienced similar.

Yes, I would definately mention it to the shop. If it was a one time thing, maybe no worry. More than once, there's a real problem. If some contamintion was present (such as oil) you need to have your tank and regs stripped down and cleaned. Without an air purity test, I couldn't tell you for sure. But I would be bothered by it.

FD

The taste could be coming from a petrol compressor..
Might be the fumes....
Hope i helped
weddas

Dude... don't breathe the gas if it tastes like anything.

besides diesel/gas fumes/exhaust in the air and compressor oil leaks in the air, could a "filter system" that has gotten wet with compressor moisture and actually "mold" in the system?

I've noticed that no matter where i get tanks from, compressed air to me has a sort of different taste/smell.

Have you noticed any headaches while diving or anything like that. I got bad air two times and out of everyone on the boat only me and another DM noticed it. It gave me a bad headache. Turned out that the filters needed changing. I had to have the tanks tumbled to get the taste out of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom