dive computer question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highlandfarmwv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a Suunto Cobra. I dived in a lake with a VERY noticable thermocline, with cool temps at the lower depths. My computer said 79 degrees on one dive and 81 degrees on another. I could believe that the surface was maybe that warm, but not at depth. I did not look at temp during the dive, I'm getting these figures from the LOGBOOK reports. Is this the way they usually read, or is something wrong with the computer? Or could it be I was not in the colder water long enough? Thanks.

My Vyper reads about 2 degrees above most others. It does adjust every minute or two. Either it is a little out of calabration or your cold blooded.

The Cobra/Vyper only gives temps for the start of the dive, the deepest point, and the end of the dive. Your cold spots may have been at some other point during the dive.

Can you retrieve the three temps after the dive? I'm only getting one (and I assume it is either at the beginning or end of the dive sine it is so warm) in the logbook option, page 2. Thanks

It could be that the time lag between entering the different temp and the sensor sensing this is greater than your time spent at this temperature... hence, it would not register. Also lets be aware, most of the sensors used in these computers have a accuracy of +/- 3-5%....... this is in reality very good for average use. If you would do scientific research... maybe you would want less than 1% accuracy and response time to be less than 1 sec..... but that would cost a lot more....

When you download your computer, you should be able to see the starting temp, max depth and end of dive temp. You have to download it to see them, they aren't on the computer logbook that I know of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom