What is it about Diving...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
:confused: There must be some psychological addiction mechanism to nitrogen, I swear....

After a long and frustrating day today, I headed over to the local cove to go diving. It was my first dive in a drysuit, and I was just hoping to have a nice shallow dive to acquaint myself. I ended up being grossly underweighted, getting feet-first several times, and fighting for dear life not to polaris (I never did luckily). On top of this, my suit flooded completely! I finally thumbed the dive after 25 minutes, cursing this voodoo technology of drysuits.

For about 30 minutes afterwards I was totally bummed out. I had been reduced to the diving prowess of an OW checkout student, my buoyancy and trim were completely Charlie Foxtrot, and I was freezing my...ahem... dump valve off.

As soon as I got into the car and started driving home, I realized that in the course of fubar-ing my dive like an idiot, I had gone from being glum and downtrodden to completely happy. I don't know how, but any activity that can do that is something I'll stick with for life

Bump:

Great story! I think all of the hard-core divers on the board can realate to this.

R..

Yes, there is something with the nitrogen etc... that has that effect.

Around work 2 fellow divers and I can tell when we have been "Dry" for too long we start getting Quarry fever. Ususally say we are suffering from Nitrogen Deficiency or Lacking bubble time. There is only one cure!!!

I must say that long haul trucking creates a need. Everywhere I go, I pass by potential dive sites. Some bodies of water may be totally unsuited for diving, but I know there are plenty I pass by and don't even know about that are mini-meccas.

I recently was in Florida within 200 feet of gorgeous blue/emerald green waters... I couldn't go diving, but BY GOD I walked over and stuck my feet in. It about killed me to have to drive away from that.

Quarry-fever... now THAT'S funny! Who'd have thought you could get that! I totally hear ya though! I was THRILLED to be in the water last Monday at Gilboa... and I'm totally looking forward to doing 4-5 more dives Sun/Mon... that may last me for a little while- but I hadn't been in the water since last September! Talk about longing!

My second OW checkout dive was a flooded drysuit, a panic attack when trying to clear my mask, and a short tour dive, during which I was shivering uncontrollably and was completely disoriented. You tell me why I got addicted to this sport?

I honestly think, if somebody did the research, that nitrogen does something to the dopamine pathways in the brain -- those are the pleasure center circuits, and the ones that tend to be involved in addictive behavior. Because diving sure makes us happy, and we are all ridiculously hooked.

I tell you, I get grumpy and upset if I don't go diving at least once a week. If I go two or more days a week you can't wipe the smile off my face.

I haven't been in the water for 2 weeks and I think my wife has had enough of me.

Amazingly,

my first Dry Suit dive was during my intro to cave class. I had happy feet only once and was able to get it under control quickly. I love my trim in a dry suit. :D

TSandM:
<snip>

I honestly think, if somebody did the research, that nitrogen does something to the dopamine pathways in the brain -- those are the pleasure center circuits, and the ones that tend to be involved in addictive behavior. Because diving sure makes us happy, and we are all ridiculously hooked.
I reckon this is true! My instructor who's been diving for over 40 years says the same thing. (Although not so eloquently. :wink:)

TSandM:

You know Lynne, there may be something to this, I've felt that euphoria for sure. I'll add a few things to why I enjoy diving:

First, the ocean (substitute any body of water here-but for me it is the Pacific Ocean). It is something I always will keep coming back to in my life. Surfing growing up (and now on vacations) and now diving. I think that being in the ocean gives one a proper sense of self and place in the grand scheme of things. It is easy in life to get self-centered and think you are bigger or somehow in control--the ocean will put you in your place in an instant, and for me that is a perspective I regularly want to seek out. Even during our last dive-when we had to thumb it--just swimming back to shore on the surface was probably the most relaxed I've been in a while.

Forgive me for waxing philosophical, but I think the ocean reminds us of who we are, and for me, it reminds me that I am alive.

Second would be the actual physical aspect of diving. When you think about it, it is quite meditative. (Grateful Diver's signature line quoting Jerry Garcia comes to mind here). To be a good diver, one has to necessarily be in touch with what is going on with your body, trim buoyancy, everything requires listening and paying attention to senses and signals that otherwise would go unnoticed. Combine all this, and for me diving results in something similar to meditation or yoga, with a similar euphoric feeling afterwards.

Third would be the sense of direction and meaning in the sport. Once again, I think for those of us that are serious about it, there is something attractive about the order the diving necessarily instills into your routine. Working on skills, thinking problems out, solving those same problems, all of this at different time scales and in different situations. This too, at least for me, stimulates my mind in a way that it ordinarily is not in day-to-day life.

I also love the transient nature of the experience. Someone said that you can't step in the same river twice, and the same is true for diving-you certainly can't have the same dive twice. The richness of each dive combined with the necessity of heightened awareness creates very vivid memories for me, memories that stand in stark contrast to day-to-day life. One of my favorite authors, David James Duncan, refers to such memories as "River Teeth" or the particularly knotty parts of trees left in the bottom of rivers after the rest of the trunk has worn away. Diving creates those types of memories, and imparts a sense of passing of time in me.

Finally--and perhaps just as important--is the people and the community. I mean, really, I posted on this board a while back and have lucked out with some truly great dive buddies and people I hope will become life long friends. Once again, the shared experience lends itself well to building of a unique community, and I think we as a society need to find such opportunities today, especially as old, traditional methods of building such a sense of community break down.

Anyways, this is a monster post. But those are my few cents.

It's not the nitrogen.
A) it's quiet. really quiet. no one can bug you if you don't let them. (Hey! the cell phone can't ring!)
B) Neutral bouyancy. If anythings better than floating weightless over the void, I don't know about it. (Beat gravity, finally!)

Back
Top Bottom