Newbie looking to go all the way...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotty g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

Surfing these pages, it's been well interesting! I've picked up a lot from most of the members here and i am now unbelievebally exited about my O/W course starting in 2 weeks and have been reading the manual with interest.

After that, i am off to Thailand in January 07 to go as far as i can (until the money runs out!) I'm personally gutted that i haven't had the opportunity to start off the sport at an earlier point in my life (I'm 30 btw), but there you go - life isn't always as easy as that!

I have watched forums that have tried to promote PADI vs BSAC etc and i have my own opinions on this so i hope that the discussion is not flared up regarding this point.

So my question is here...

1. Away from the written rules that you find in the manuals, what laws must a newbie adhere to - on land and in the water, unofficial yet constructive.

I would be grateful to hear your views. I'm have done dives but never qualified and have done no more than 'Discovery dives' although i am now in a position to really get my head into it! Oh, and i'm expecting some witty lines here but hopefully constructive:wink:

Regards

Scotty

go all the way where?

I have no idea what you are talking about. What rules? Your post is very confusing.

Scotty g:
1. Away from the written rules that you find in the manuals, what laws must a newbie adhere to - on land and in the water, unofficial yet constructive.

Adhere to the laws of physics, physiology and psychology.....

If it scares you, you are probably not ready to do it. If it tires you, you are probably not ready to do it, if it is difficult to do, you are probably not ready to do it.

But this is all part of learning. Everything can be learned and only time will allow for this to happen.

Go slow rather than too quick, if in doubt of what is too quick... see above. Mnay times new divers go too quick, wnat to do things beyond their experience/training and get hurt... some a bit.....others in a major way.

Sorry it's confusing, it ddn't appear that way when i wrote it :eek: Anyway, what i was trying basically say was - what un-official rules are there to learn? I am aware of the "not holding the breath" after reading my manual yet who knows the rules about several etiquitte that you must have that is not stated in the book (like rules of the boat - buddys - well everything really).

Oh and by the way - go all the way - meaning i am going to Thailand to study to go up to perhaps Scuba Instructor after a course for 6 months months in which i complete a set of dives that enable me to do this and gain the experience to become a safe diver to enable to teach others.

Regards

Scotty

Scotty g whereabouts in Thailand are you doing your internship?If its Pattaya good luck with 6 months there, you'll come back a changed man!

Freds :coffee:

Ok,

I understand you better now.

There are lots of unoffical rules, that pertain to all types of diving. However, a great many of these things are simply best learned by experience. That is what makes the journey worthwhile. As you dive with more experienced divers, each will impart some knowledge that you tuck away and use when appropriate. I've had hundreds of these informal lesson imparted to me in the past several months and it has made my return to diving incredibly enjoyable. Take your time, and learn. That's the best advice I can give.

As for "go all the way", there are many divergent paths to take in diving. To "go all the way" might imply one thing to a person interested in shipwrecks or caves, and imply something very different to someone interested in becoming an open water instructor. This was my confusion.

That sounds like an awesome experience. Good luck diving there!

However, from wet between the toes to instructor in six months??!! There are a lot of IDC like that, just really....what would you have to offer? Experience makes all the difference in the world. I think OW to Rescue in a short period is doable. Although, with rescue again comes the question, are you comfortable enough with your diving ability and experience to keep the person from drowning you?

Anyway, wish I had your opportunity! Maybe one day I'll make a dive vacation there...Good luck!

Oh PerroneFord my confusion is well established! ha ha

I can see your point and totally understand it! I do want to become an O/W intructor and hopefully will do as many side speciality course as possible! Obviously not enough but you gotta start somewhere right? Acordiong to go all the way - this would mean going to Scuba Instructor during a 6 month intensive course.

I guess that the general rule would be 'experience' and this is what i hope to gain. I'm under no illusion that you can be trained to the extreme yet have not practical experience - this is why i am giving up my life here and moving to Thailand to gain as many dives as i can cater for. Time will tell on the success.

Fred, i am going to Pattaya and i appreciate your interest. I have looked at your website many times :eek:)

Scotty g

jbliesath,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes 6 months for this and i assume that your remain sceptical which i totally understand. Wet between the toes i am and i hope to learn a great deal about this wonderful sport that i have only now had the opportunity to look into to extreme.

As for my experience, i have only discovery dives which i have really enjoyed. My offers? Lets see, i have teached before and i do believe i have incredibly good patience and respect others unknown knowledge and confusion. Above that, i respect others opinions and i believe that is a good balance for teaching as well as education.

My whole point is, i am now in a position to leave everything behind and invest some money in becoming another member to this sport which everyone here swears by. I am looking forward to learning about the relatively unknown and perhaps in the future, teaching people about this fascinating sport that very few people have the privilege of witnessing.:eek:)

Scotty

Just remember, there are no stupid questions. There is nothing worse than a macho diver. If you dont know something ..ASK!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom