Newbies view of instructors...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotty g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In addition to my other post lurking around....

I had to book my open water recently and searched several websites/leads to determine who would have my money and attention. Let me present some instances that i have recently experienced..

1. A school who tried to warn me about the dangers of diving and not much else about the positive side of diving.

Personally, i am a newbie and although i want the disadvantages to keep in mind, i do want to know about the obvious advantages of exploring the deep without being disillusioned about the fact that this is a relatively dangerous sport.

2. One shop owner/instructor actually gave me a lecture over the phone which felt like a "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH" kinda thing. Let's face it, if someone is training me, although i'm a fast learner personally, i would expect a teacher to be more patient in trying to sell his ware.

3. Based on the above, i would expect my teacher to be patient yet firm with my actions. If i do wrong i expect a ticking off, firm but supportive. I can't believe that i called 4 training centres before i found someone who would treat me like a human and not an imbicile.

4. I expected a trainer to be firm yet supportive. I called a centre that made me think that although i was a newbie, it wasn't the kind of voice that i would like to hear over the phone yet alone hear in the water after trying my best to learn!

5. An instructor who was trying to sell his diving 'governing body' to me by slagging other Diving organisations off. I'm sorry but i'm not into such antics and i will dive with who i feel comfortable with. The organisation is a secondary format. I will enroll and dive with the organisation i feel most comfortable with.

6. I personally judge an organisation by it's members. If they are the "dont go with them, go with us because..." kind of people then i will gladly ingnore them. If they are the "Do your research and go to who your feel more comfortable with", then i would likely go with them (which i have done). Sale on - another member and buddy captured!

There is no meaning to this post, only the fact that if your an instructor, there may be a few points here that will help you sell your trade to the newbie. I'm not against the many organisations that there are out there, but please be aware that your representation to your governing organisation may be the decision that 1 student may need to go somewhere else!:14:

Regards

Scotty

Scotty g:
may be the decision that 1 student may need to go somewhere else!

Vote with your wallet.

yeah! i don't get it... who dives that doesn't like it? who are they doing it for? and to go into business, and continue with it, if you don't like it or the clientele? beats, me? i just want to be in the water!

--c

Scotty G,

You are going to cut yourself out of some wonderful training with your attitudes about instruction. Some of the most knowledgeable people in this business don't have the most pleasant attitudes. I've never let a teaher's, a coach's, or an instructor's poor demeanor come between me and learning what I wanted/needed to know.

PerroneFord:
Scotty G,

You are going to cut yourself out of some wonderful training with your attitudes about instruction. Some of the most knowledgeable people in this business don't have the most pleasant attitudes. I've never let a teaher's, a coach's, or an instructor's poor demeanor come between me and learning what I wanted/needed to know.

PerroneFord,

With all due respect, do you believe that an exiting pastime/hobby could be presented better via an instructor who understands the limited knowledge of his/her students?

As an instructor, i would personally let his/her persona come between my learning and educational benefits. Im a paying an instructor therefore, i expect a person who understands my novice situation and presents a logical yet educational solution to my fears and learning.

Nothign scares me more than a lecturer/instructor of any kind who is patronising and making you look like an idiot (being in front of yourself only, or whoever...). I dont care what some say, a good teacher will work well with a novice who really does want to learn. If you dont want to learn, then that's a different story to mine.

To me, a good teacher would respect the limited knowledge of a novice, establish the learning curve, and work on the science/knowledge they are teaching by being educating without being patronising.

As an example, i tried 4 training schools recently. Most of them went on about my goals and to be quite frank - they were patronising. I am doing my open water course with a centre who were brief with me yet encouraging and non political. The instructor made me feel good and motivated. I have met with the instructor twice (who gave me my manuals and DVD) and is the kind of guy who i would see underwater and think ..."I could really trust him with my life"...not that i would literally but i think you know where i'm coming from.

This is the guy who has just made £300 from me!

Regards

Scotty

PerroneFord:

You got that right - the bizarre people skills of many good SCUBA professionals never fails to amaze me! I guess some people were born to end up in a role where not being able to communicate verbally is an advantage.

Full face masks and communication systems are going to ruin this industry...:D

PerroneFord:
Scotty G,

This really demonstrates the difference in mentality between the tech (or tech wannabe) diver and the standard recreational diver.

The vast majority of people get into diving to have fun. Take the fun out of it, and they lose interest ... either in the instructor or in the activity altogether.

One of the things our CD emphasized when I was going through instructor training is that people tend to listen better and participate more completely when the instructor makes enjoyment one of the class objectives.

In training new divers, I have found that to be the case. Turn into a drill sargeant and you will lose them ... either they will stop listening or they will drop out of the class.

People skills ARE important ... there are lots of great divers out there who make poor instructors because they don't have any ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Scotty g:
With all due respect, do you believe that an exiting pastime/hobby could be presented better via an instructor who understands the limited knowledge of his/her students?

Unfortunately, in an industry where you can get an instructor rating with 100 "logged" dives there are plenty of instructors with great personalities and lousy dive skills. The big problem as a newbie is that you can't spot this.

Ideally, an instructor has great teaching skills and great skills to teach but, if forced to pick, I'd prefer the latter.

Your best bet is a combination of your own feelings plus recommendations from experienced divers.

PerroneFord:
Scotty G,

PF: I got lucky with my instructor; he's personable, patient and competent. I've seen many, many who were neither or only one of those. The more instuctors/cave divers I meet, the more I appreciate him. I understand your message though and I too would suck it up and learn if the person had a skill I wanted to know.

NWGratefulDiver:
This really demonstrates the difference in mentality between the tech (or tech wannabe) diver and the standard recreational diver.

The vast majority of people get into diving to have fun. Take the fun out of it, and they lose interest ... either in the instructor or in the activity altogether.

I don't mean to imply it's not important to have fun. It is. All I am saying is that sometimes the instructor is not going to lay roses at your feet and have you laughing all class. Doesn't mean he or she is a poor instructor. Quite frankly, "cheerleader" style instruction turns me off. I appreciate some good wit and humor, and a lighthearted approach to training. But I an also appreciate those who are business-like and spend all their time just teaching. I FAR prefer that to the instructor who kicks up more silt than I do, or can't hold buoyancy, or who can't swim without using their hands. I don't respect that person. I expect my instructor to be a better diver than me.

I'm just old fashioned that way I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom