Is my NASDS card still good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking for opinions-

I was certified by NASDS back in the 1970s. NASDS is now SSI.

Is there any advantage to update the NASDS card to an SSI card?

I'll be traveling to the Caribbean to dive next winter, and don't want any trouble because the card isn't recognized.

Thanks!

now and forever.......

My card from 1970 started to deteriorate, so I got the SSI replacement. I still show the old card, especially when I am in a new dive shop.

If you were certified before 1977 get a replacement card or make a bunch of copies of your card. NASDS had a fire in 1977 destroying their records. If you lose your NASDS card you won't be able to get a replacement. SSI will only give you a replacement if you send them a copy of your NASDS card.

tankboygreg:
If you were certified before 1977 get a replacement card or make a bunch of copies of your card. NASDS had a fire in 1977 destroying their records. If you lose your NASDS card you won't be able to get a replacement. SSI will only give you a replacement if you send them a copy of your NASDS card.

+1 on that! I'd scan both sides of the card and print out the scans just to be safe. Some courses require the instructor to make copies of your certs prior to your completion of the new course (like if you go from PADI to SSI) until your new card(s) shows up.

Great advice and info everyone.

Thanks a lot!

gulp, noob here, my first card was NASDS from 89.

You bet. Hang on to that NASDS dinosaur and dive dive dive.

Back
Top Bottom