What equipment to get first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Olivia Chillia

Registered
Reaction score
DH and I are just getting into diving. He's actually getting back into it and knows he wants to dive all the time, so he's got all his gear. I'm definitely afraid to be under water (the pool does not count) and am working through this, so I'm not ready to get all my gear yet. However, there are some things I'd like to get sooner. I want to check that these are reasonable early buys and get some recommendations.

I'm most interested in getting my own prescription mask (the LDS does not have a prescription rental mask that fits me well) and wetsuit.

1. Are these reasonable early buys?
2. What should I look for in a prescription mask?
3. What should I look for in a wetsuit? (We're using 7mm full suit or farmer jane with jacket in our local water and this is comfortable.)
4. Should I run away from the cute pink wetsuits I see from O'Neill and other manufacturers? (Sometimes cute comes at the expense of quality...not sure how true that is in this industry.)
5. How do I find a suit that fits properly? Is it normal to be a little tired just from getting into the darn thing? I'm a misses' size 12 (5'5" and about 165 pounds...float real well!). I seem to be either disappeared in the rental suits (legs and arms way too long) or can't move.

1. Those are great early buys because a mask and wetsuit can be used in snorkeling or whatever if for some reason for don't end up diving much.

2. Never had one.

3. Good fit - a poor fitting wetsuit won't do a very good job of keeping you warm - too much water exchange if its too big.

4. I like a pretty basic wetsuit - so no comment.

5. Try a bunch on - if you find one that fits, great. If not you can have a custom wetsuit made. Of course they cost more but can be well worth it if you can't get a good fit.

Hi!
You will appreicate your own wetsuit most. You don't want to think about what or who did what last in that rental.
I hear your pain about wetsuits.. Most manufacters I swear never saw a real woman. If they fit in the chest the butt is huge!!! And most women do not have stick arms. They also don't believe that we can have muscular thighs & calves, and I don't care what they say 7mil suits do not stretch that well. Which is what you will need to dive in Minn. Try the plastic bag trick to make the arms & legs slide on better.
Cheddar

I think you have a good handle on what to get first. It follows my "wrinkle in the sock" theory. If all you are doing is walking to the end of the driveway the wrinkle doesn't matter. If you are hiking 20 miles, your world will revolve around that wrinkle. Whatever creates an issue that takes away the pleasure of diving, address that part first. This is a visual sport (most of the time) so a mask is appropriate. I hate being cold, so wetsuit was very high on the list.

For the mask, pick one that fits you well. I chose one used some sample contacts from my optometrist to see if the mask functioned well under water and then order lenses for them. If the mask you chose does not have prescription lenses available, there are several companies that can bond a retro fit lens (or custom grind) to just what you want.

As to wet suits, I found the super stretchy styles to be much more comfortable, there are several brands that are quiet good. I also found by wearing a skin under the wetsuit (kind of like a lycra jumpsuit), the wet suit was a lot easier to put on and take off.

BTW, welcome to diving. You are about to explore a wonderful new world.

I agree with the above comments...

I guess I think about renting a wetsuit like renting underwear or buying underwear at a garage sale.....

Good luck on your class.

1st thing I got was a wetsuit.
couldn't get over how creepy sharing one with renters is

I agree with the others, I recommend getting the items where 'fit' is most important. Mask and fins are a good place to start, a leaking mask will abort a dive as soon as you get in the water. Next the wetsuit for the reasons already stated, rarely does the first one you try on fit and that holds for rentals more than new. Warmth is important but being able to breath is also, so to add some degree of freedom, you might consider layers, for example a 3mil full suit with a hooded core warmer underneath, easier to get on and versatile. For low70's water I wear a 1mil full suit under a 3mil shorty. For upper 70's water I ditch the shorty. Next would be a BC, fit isn't as critical but bouyancy control is and given the wide variety of BCs, it helps to get in some practice before going open water. This is the coolest piece of gear, however, so it's understandable if you just want to have one of your own. Last would be the regs and guages. Many divers will recommend getting regs first, and there is good reason for that, regs have to work properly, no options. That said, most regs feel the same and if you are renting from your local dive shop or a reputable dive operator, their regs should be as reliable as your own would be, maybe more depending on your maintenance habits. Still, reliability is critical.

Welcome to diving and have fun picking out equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom