Rain-x in mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncreative username

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so I was at the hardware store the other day getting rain-x for the jeep, and I noticed this interior rain-x stuff that prevents the windows from fogging up. I got it because this is a really big problem for me, and I put some on the windshield of one of our ambulances after I got done with the jeep. Then, the rescue chief suggested I try putting it on the inside of the visors on the rescue helmets. That got me thinking- do you think it'd work on the inside of a diving mask? Has anybody tried it before?

The moment you get water in your mask into your eyes you will be very, very sorry you put RainX in there.

Use standard defogger. It works.

Chazzjoh:
I thought the same thing! It made my eyes burn... alot.

Hmmmm........how long after putting the rain-x in did you do your dive? I'm thinking if I put it in now I might be good to go, because I won't have the opportunity to dive for at least another two weeks :)( ).

I wouldn't screw around with my vision with a product not intended for masks. Clean the inside of your mask well with soft scrub and use any defogger or spit and you should be good to go.

Rain X for mask....?????What do you thing if the mask with water go into your eyes.

After it has dried, it will not affect your eyes adversely.

The reported "burning" is from the unevaporated main ingredient: alcohol.

It has no effect on fogging.

Use Toothpaste on your mask before every dive. Works like a charm. If you want to spend money and buy mask defog, you can do that if it makes you feel better. Otherwise, TOOTHPASTE works just fine. Every time, every dive.

Hmmmm........how long after putting the rain-x in did you do your dive? I'm thinking if I put it in now I might be good to go, because I won't have the opportunity to dive for at least another two weeks

Rain-X is designed to leave a residue on the glass it is put on, thats what makes it work for extended periods. So no matter how long you let it dry there will always be a residue on the glass until you wash it off or it eventually wears off. So when you get water in your mask its going to make your eyes burn.

yeah yeah yeah, i've done the white toothpaste thing a long time ago, and spit works fine for me, so I don't need to be spending extra $$$ on de-fogger. I just thought this up and was wondering if anybody had tried it before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom