Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtg

Reaction score
As someone who has had the importance of your buddy (and being a buddy) pounded into my head. I wonder why people get into solo diving. Many of the stories I have heard about diver deaths have been when the diver went out alone, or went down without a buddy. Is it adrenaline? Necessity (are they grouchy?:light: )?

What say you?

I dont live near the coast so finding a diver is hard finding one that will dive cold low vis lakes is harder. sometimes no buddy is better than a new buddy that isnt sure about the conditions.

I've heard very few stories of solo diver deaths. Most seem to be deaths of divers who for some reason or another became seperated from their buddy during a dive. A diver should be prepared mentally and physically for solo diving.

mtg:
As someone who has had the importance of your buddy (and being a buddy) pounded into my head. I wonder why people get into solo diving. Many of the stories I have heard about diver deaths have been when the diver went out alone, or went down without a buddy. Is it adrenaline? Necessity (are they grouchy?:light: )?

What say you?
Some do it because they enjoy the solitude, some do it when the only buddy available is a bad buddy. Some do it because they enjoy kicking Darwin in the *****.

FWIW, I beleive an easy solo dive in well known conditions is probably a lot safer than a dive in unknown conditions with a bad buddy.

Many times the solo divers who get killed are doing something stupid.

Terry

Terry is right, but ANY diver doing something stupid can die, not just solo diving.

I solo because I take photos and it takes time to get the right shot. Photographers are not good buddies unless they are just interested in snapping a few shots and checking out the reef with their buddy. Me and some of my friends who are photographers can spend 15 or 20 minutes on one subject, changing angles, camera settings and strobe position. It's not fair for a buddy to wait around like that and frankly, we are not attentive enough to have a buddy. That's not to say we have to be completely alone. Lots of times we can see each other but we are diving solo.

Solo diving is not for everyone, you have to have firm personal limits and stick to them.

mtg:

What say you?

There are as many bad reasons for diving solo as there are good. It is unwise to dive alone, which is why all the agencies in the World stress buddy diving.

pilot fish:
Like risking your safety.:11doh:

No more and in some cases less than diving with a bad or inattentive buddy. All my diving is done on trips and in most cases I would have a different buddy almost every dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom