scuba web site feedback please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwuleo

Registered
Reaction score
I just got back into scuba after about 20 years, got re-certified with my 18 year old son. We are now buying all of the equipment needed to scuba on a regular basis. I've been in several brick & mortor stores and have also bought online. I found a site called scuba-l.com, they sell bc's and wetsuits. The prices are extremely inexpensive, sounds to good to be true...............Anybody have any feedback on scuba-l or Triple-L Int'l LLC..........The web site shows an address on Santa Monica Blvd. in L.A. I did come on scuba board and found feedback from as recent as September of 2005 but nothing since then, I have called the phone number on the site and have emailed with no response either way as of yet........feedback please.

Jwuleo

I checked the site out, didn't look at the prices, but did notice that the brand name is not very well known. Or possibly it's a new brand, who knows. Be careful when ordering online, make sure they are an authorized dealer so you know the equipment is up to par & that it can be serviced.

I, personally would be a little hesitant, no, I just plain wouldn't order from them. I'm into knowledeable reviews of equipment & what is good & what stinks. I've never seen this brand & would prefer to stick to the more well known brands like Mares, Oceanic, etc., but that's just my preferance. It's a matter of safety to me.

I have a Triple L Wetsuit and Orion BC. I bought them because of the price, and I am new to diving. I've got about 15 fresh water dives on them. I wouldn't buy the wetsuits from them again, there was pilling (is that the right word) on the shoulders after about 10 dives. The neoprene is also pretty stiff which makes it difficult to get on. I did notice they supposedly switched to a blended suit with more stretchy material down the sides to make it easier to don.

I'm pretty happy with the Orion. I think it is probably too much lift for what i need, but i'd rather error that way. I wish there would be a nice pocket to put a fold up snorkle, SMB, etc in, but its a pretty functional BC. I do wish there would be a pull dump on the corragated inflater hose. Would make dumping air easier. Also, Its difficult to dump air through the hose if you strap the hose through the velcro holder on the shoulder strap. Not a big deal to just use the rear dump valves though.

When i upgrade equipment, i won't be going with this company again. However, I'm glad i went with them for my first gear purchase. I got to dive much more than i would have if i didn't own gear, and I didn't get set back 4million dollars buying top of the line stuff.

Take that for what its worth. While ordering, the customer service was absolutely incredible. Their rep used to be on the board, but forget what his name was. He was a pleasure to work with though, so it surprises me that you couldn't reach them.

I bought all my equipment from my LDS. He gives good prices (yes, I did do a little shopping around!) but mainly, I trust his opinon on gear. He also sold me quite a bit of used rental gear (my stripped down b/c, my octo) and pre-owned stuff- either his own or on consignment.

The only stuff I have bought new are my wetsuit, my booties, mask, fins, snorkel.

My reg/octo is used (though it was only used a few times), my bc is very used but very functional (no bells, no whistles- but I did get a cheap whistle from the guy- hee hee), my computer is used, and any other accessories were pink. He doesn't have a whole lot of female customers and he sold me a few pink items cheap :)

So, I was afraid to buy online. How do you buy a regulator or a second stage if you don't know what you're talking about. I've been diving for 4 years now (41 whopping dives... until this weekend when the number rises again!) and I still have no idea what's what. But I know where to go to get a good, honest (yes, honest) opinion.

I still am unsure what the true definition of "octo" is and I'm not getting my book out to find out. If I refer to the thingy with the four tubes coming out of it, you may laugh, but you know what I'm talking about!

I know there are dive shops out there that will sell you whatever makes them the most profit. My LDS is not one of those. Thank goodness...

trucker girl:
I bought all my equipment from my LDS. He gives good prices (yes, I did do a little shopping around!) but mainly, I trust his opinon on gear.

So, I was afraid to buy online. How do you buy a regulator or a second stage if you don't know what you're talking about. I've been diving for 4 years now (41 whopping dives... until this weekend when the number rises again!) and I still have no idea what's what. But I know where to go to get a good, honest (yes, honest) opinion.

I know there are dive shops out there that will sell you whatever makes them the most profit. My LDS is not one of those. Thank goodness...

Good advice Trucker Girl! :icon15_2:

Thanks to everyone for your feedback, it's appreciated. I like to anchor with someone locally also. I've got a couple of guys from my local Sports Chalet that are very knowledgeable. I've asked them a million questions so far and they've always been very patient. BUT I am a shopper, I always look for the best deals on the best equipment. I always do my due diligence before I spend my hard earned buck.......Anyone else out there with first hand knowledge about ScubaL...I know they've been around for at least 15 years and if they are brick and mortar I'm close enough to the L.A. address to go there, talk to people,get a feel for the business and make an informed decision as to weather or not I want to do business with them. Feedback is welcomed.

Again thanks to you all for the input.

jwuleo

I'm pretty sure that they are not a brick and mortar, I've been in the business in LA for 6 years, and I've never heard of them. And I used to live in Santa Monica.

I have a couple of the scuba-l bcd's (Orion and Stratus) and I am happy with the quality of them. They seem to be "overbuilt". They filled my orders and shipped them quickly. They could do a little better with their communication though as others on this board have stated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom