installing a pony bottle guage...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birdwrasse

Contributor
Reaction score
i know this should be simple, but i bought a new first stage to go with an existing second stage, and it wasn't "balanced"... what ever that means. so i had to have my LDS "balance" it.

so, when i get my new pony bottle guage, will i just screw it in, or is there some magic or voodoo that has to be done to ensure that it is properly installed? i would rather not have to pay someone to screw in a hose... but i also want it to work properly... this guage is soley for a 13 cu ft pony bottle, 1st/2nd stage reg that i use as a redundant air source, so i definitely want it in properly working order!

thanks a million, everyone!

--carlos

onfloat:
I hope not.

Me too. I just screwed it in.

stunaep:
i know this should be simple, but i bought a new first stage to go with an existing second stage, and it wasn't "balanced"... what ever that means. so i had to have my LDS "balance" it.

Usually balanced refers to how the stages are designed. In this case, maybe (I hope) the LDS adjusted the intermediate pressure on the first stage to match the second stage.

Not sure what size your pony is but if it is a 13 or 19 cuft I really think a guage is a waste of money. I got rid of mine and at the end of a days diving I just have it topped off for the next days diving.

If you mount it any other way than slinging it, you will never see the guage. And, regardless of some opinions....there are other useful ways to mount other than slinging.

You haven't mentioned what kind of gauge you are talking about. You don't need a LDS to install any of them but if you are installing a small bubble gauge it's true you can't see it while diving if back mounted. You can however use a standard gauge on a hose for the pony bottle just like you use for the main tank and of course you can see it underwater. It doesn't have to be slung to do this either of course.

gcbryan:
You haven't mentioned what kind of gauge you are talking about. You don't need a LDS to install any of them but if you are installing a small bubble gauge it's true you can't see it while diving if back mounted. You can however use a standard gauge on a hose for the pony bottle just like you use for the main tank and of course you can see it underwater. It doesn't have to be slung to do this either of course.

Yeah, they did. There was a link in the first post.

I check my pony pressure with my primary first stage rig SPG. If there is air I replace primary first with back-up first and away I go.

Just to state the obvious, be careful not to cross-thread the HP fitting, as that could be expensive. Additionally, you don't have to torque the wazoo out of it. Tighten it reasonably. There's an O-ring to seal it, so you don't need to weld metal.

As for myself, I have a console with SPG, depth gauge (with max depth indicator), and a cheap dive watch attached to my slung pony's HP port. Last weekend, my buddy's console went DOA between dives, and I just swapped it with the spare from my pony and saved the second dive. I really ought to pick up a spare SPG (button gauge, maybe), in case I need to pull the console for a deep dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom