P.A.D.I. Drug Testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newtodiving

Reaction score
Does PADI perform random drug testing on their certified instructors? During my training to become an open water diver, my instructor left the class and went to his van and was smoking. When he got back, his eyes were glassy and bloodshot and he smelled of marijuana.

Great, what a start. To my knowledge, no one is tested for drugs as an instructor. If for any reason you suspect that your instructor is on drugs or has difficulty with substance use and abuse, run to the nearest exit.

Drugs, alcohol, and stupidity do not mix with diving. Try and avoid each as much as possible

No they do not.Ive been diving for quite some time and have never heard of that.Just about all of my instructors smoked(pot).And a few of them were rescue squad members.Go figure.I have never had to take one for any of my certs .Hope that helps.

Can you say gross negligence?

If it is factual in nature and you can convince PADI to actually investigate the issue, they may "yank" that particular instructor's insurance protection and his ability to teach through PADI.

Be forewarned, it will most likely take a lot more than just one complaint to get PADI to take action. They absolutely do not like to get in between instructors and students unless there is a laundry list of people making the same complaint. Heaven forbid if you pay for a class with a PADI instructor and the instructor fails to complete the course, they definately don't step in there, found out the hard way.

Run... If I knew someone that was teaching me "Life Saving Skills" was imparied in anyway... I would ask for my money back and go to another store

Most instructors are self-employed so drug testing just isn't going to happen.

Even so, why would it matter? It's no legitimate concern of yours what they do when they are off duty. And if they do it when they are instructing, you don't need a test to tell you that it's a good idea to demand a new instructor or ask for a refund so you can go somewhere else.

Ummm. The OP said that this was DURING class...

Well, I will surmise that you have completed your O/W training and are now a certified diver.

If this is the case, then it would probably be prudent if you were not to be associated with the instructor in question. The reason ??? Guilt by association.

If you are still working on your O/W, stop the instruction, obtain a referral and continue your course with another instructor.

If you are ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE, BEYOND ANY REASONABLE DOUBT that the instructor was using a controlled substance, then report the instructor to the PADI Quality Control division. Keep in mind, you open youself up to litigation if certain statements are made which cannot be substantiated and result to "damages" suffered by the accused.

the K

Unbelievable.

Get your money back and get a new instructor. If the instructor/scuba shop refuses then it is time to involve PADI. I wouldn't stand for that crap and neither should you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom