How low of a visibility can you stand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy Fingers

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what other divers think about bad visibility. Two questions:
1) At what visibility level do you no longer enjoy the dive?
2) At what visibility level do you start to feel claustrophobic?

If I have 10 feet or better I can enjoy the dive, and if the visibility is less than about 2' I start to feel uncomfortable, especially at deeper depths.

CBulla:
Dive by brail.. its not preferred, but if needs be its handled without an issue.

I've done close to it and certainly don't like it! I can handle it without freaking out, but definitely want to get out of the water and just nix the whole dive. What viz do you need to enjoy the dive though?

I am like most,,,,great vis is a pleasure to dive in. Though being land locked much of the year in fresh water holes of various descriptions I have grown used to diving in less than perfect conditions. I am comfortable in 'zero' vis and have dove those conditions multiple times with modified buddy techniques. Have done several 'Helen Keller" runs. Low viz is a great training ground for the serious diver to work on skills and inter-personnal consentration. If you get good at diving low/no vis conditions than sudden silt-outs and other dark dive conditions will be much easier handled. Low vis training and diving has alot to be said for it,,and it makes those great vis dives a piece of heaven. :)

I can handle O visiblity for a little bit as long as I know where my buddy is, now in 0 vis I may have my one hand on his tank boot and my eyes glued on my gauges and compas.

But Genreally I don't get claustrophobic at all but in doing 0 vis navigation is stressful and my airconsumpstion goes up.

But genrally I need at least 2-3 feet to enjoy the dive, with normal air consuption :) I don't like having to hold the gauges right against my mask. but more visabilty the better I just like diving I'd do it in a mud puddle if it was deep enuff.

Zero vis is no problem. 6" is enough to enjoy a dive.

In the Cooper River in Charleston SC it is viz is nil. It's prlly better that way, hides the gators and boats. It doesn't make me feel claustrophobic or anything; it's just how it is. You know it before you go in. I think of it like a big cracker jack box, best have a good light cannon though.

1) At what visibility level do you no longer enjoy the dive?

Depends on the goal of the dive and if I can switch the goal to match the viz.

2) At what visibility level do you start to feel claustrophobic?

I don't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom