Guessing weights for warm water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biodiversity_guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are new divers up here in the PNW. We dive with thick wetsuits or drysuits and carry a lot of weight as a result.

We are going to Bonaire for a couple of weeks of diving. We will be in 3/2mm wetsuits, diving AL 80 (Buddy Dive) tanks.

I know the best answer is to do a bouyancy test once we are there (and we will), but for educational, planning and discussion purposes:

About how much weight will an average sized male (5'7", 155) need for warm water diving in 3/2mm suit and AL 80 tanks? 5 lbs for the wetsuit and 5 for the AL tank at 500 psi? More?

Thanks in advance.

Biodiversity_guy:
My wife and I are new divers up here in the PNW. We dive with thick wetsuits or drysuits and carry a lot of weight as a result.

We are going to Bonaire for a couple of weeks of diving. We will be in 3/2mm wetsuits, diving AL 80 (Buddy Dive) tanks.

I know the best answer is to do a bouyancy test once we are there (and we will), but for educational, planning and discussion purposes:

About how much weight will an average sized male (5'7", 155) need for warm water diving in 3/2mm suit and AL 80 tanks? 5 lbs for the wetsuit and 5 for the AL tank at 500 psi? More?

Thanks in advance.

Seeing as you are a new diver, if you don't have time for a buoyancy test I'd start at 12 pounds and work down from there. 10 may be enough, but 2-3 pounds heavy beats the heck out of a half pound light.

At 155, once you become more experienced you probably will end up in the 7-10 pound range, but it may take some time.

Well, since you are going to Bonaire you will have to start your trip with a government required bouyancy check and dive. The 10 to 12 lb range sounds like a good start, but talk to the DM at the shop.

Have a good time.

What are "buddy dive" tanks?

Personally in a 3mm full wetsuit, Al80, and my bp/w setup I don't wear a weight belt. My backplate is just under 6 lbs of stainless steel though.
I'm 5'10 and 200lbs and have absolutely no problems dropping down.

Buddy Dive is the name of a dive resort - not a type of tank.

I weigh 200 lbs - dive with a 3mm and use 12 lbs with an Al 80 tank. (in Bonaire)

At 155 lbs I agree with the above - start at ten pounds and work your way down.

Im 5'5 145Lbs and I use 10 lbs, so id go with 11 or 12 if I was you.
or 5% of your body weight +2 LBS

thanks for the great discussion. I have a DSS bp/w. Just trying to figure how much might be needed on a weight belt, once the ss bp gets factored in (4.7-). Have an 8.1 set of bp weights, for a total of 12.8 lbs, if I wanted to lug them in the check-on luggage.

Seems like the best answer is to leave the extra bp weight at home and do a bouyancy test the first tank or 2, expecting to have 4-8 lbs on the weight belt.

Why 3/2? Hoping to do 3-5 dives/day for ~12 of 15 days <grins> in Bonaire. Just trying to keep the core temp up over time. Will bring along the drysuit hood, just in case.

Thanks again for the responses!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom