First open water dives next weekend!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last night we had our final pool session for the OW class I'm taking. We covered most of the skills over the first 3 pool sessions, and used this final day for drysuit skills. I think I did pretty well, and had no problems when they caused us to float upside down, and had us swim out and vent our suits. Only really difficult part was trying to reconnect the hose to the drysuit with 5mm gloves on. One thing that was a lot easier for me was my buoyancy control. I had a lot easier time hovering off the bottom.

I also bought a new mask before last nights sesson, an Aqualung Mythos. Previously I had a cheap US Divers mask, and it would fog even with anti-fog goop. Didn't have that problem with this. Plus, I like the black skirt, and since it's low profile, it's easier to equalize since I can more easily block off my nose with gloves on, and it's eaiser to clear. Also got a chance to try out my new ProQD BC which I just got, and that worked well too.

Can't wait to get out in the ocean next week!

Brian

They let you do drysuit work in the OW class? Was this PADI? On my OW cert, they wouldn't consider doing drysuit work in the class. Maybe just my store/instructor.

Congratulations and have fun, I wish my OW was in a drysuit water temp 46
ESL-yes students are allowed to start out in drysuits

Michael Schlink:
Congratulations and have fun, I wish my OW was in a drysuit water temp 46
ESL-yes students are allowed to start out in drysuits

Interesting, they were a pretty solid "no" when I asked about it but it's probably up to the instructor ultimately. As it turns out I'm glad I didn't try it as there was enough task loading just going through the basics at the time. The drysuit would have just complicated my day.

So far so good in the wetsuit in the Sound. We'll see what winter brings. :11doh:

EvilSlumLord:
They let you do drysuit work in the OW class? Was this PADI? On my OW cert, they wouldn't consider doing drysuit work in the class. Maybe just my store/instructor.

Dry suits are SOP as part of the OW course here in Alaska. Otherwise you couldn't do the open water portion in 38 degree water.

Water isn't quite 38 here, more like high 40's and 50's, but yes, drysuit training is part of the PADI OW course that I'm taking.

Congrats on the future cert and also on the new gear. Great feeling isn't it?

bdshort:
Water isn't quite 38 here, more like high 40's and 50's, but yes, drysuit training is part of the PADI OW course that I'm taking.

Water temp up here today is about 56 degrees. It's only in the 30's after October.
Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom