Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you who would consider taking Fundies

Why not? We've had a couple of classes here in Seattle not fill, and it puzzles me. It's SUCH a good class, and I keep reading of people who are unhappy they can't get access to such a class. And here we are in the Puget Sound region, loaded with divers, and spots are going empty.

Do you not have the equipment? Is it too expensive? Are you too far from anywhere where the class is held? Is it the reputation for difficulty that's stopping you?

No need to hear from those who wouldn't take the class if their life depended on it, now . . . :)

many people have never heard of it

those who have probably think it's a tech class or have a negative view of DIR

then there's cost ... it's at least $300 for a weekend, not counting the equipment

equipment was the big one for a group of us. several of us decided to take the
DIR-F class, and we went about getting details. we would have to retool with
bp/wings being the major expenditure.

all but me said, no thanks. i was going to get a bp/wings anyway (for cave training),
so i went ahead.

For the record, when I checked into it here on Oahu, it was WAY, WAY too expensive. We would have had to pay for the class, AND the travel and accommodations for the instructor.

Just not in by budget.

Because it would require most people to completely change the gear setup they own/use/rent/whatever for an idea that they may not understand or simply be opposed to.

It's expensive, it's tough, it's very controversial, and requires considerable dedication from the student to simply sign up. It's in many cases ridiculed and often purported by non-DIR as some "Tech" or "wannabe" or even a "cult" class. There is a considerable stigma carried by DIR divers. We get accused of all sorts of stuff from all sorts of people.

Unfortunately it's not something that can be taken casually.

And some of us just don't want to be arrogant DIR types.

Wildcard, DIR can't make you arrogant. only you can do that, and it's probably
there before you take DIR-F

:wink:

that's like saying you don't want to learn German 'cause you don't want to turn into Hitler

Sadly enough you are right Johnnythan...................if the price and structure of logistics could be addressed, I think MANY MANY more would sign up.

Wildcard:
And some of us just don't want to be arrogant DIR types.
Yea...They just want to be Non-DIR arrogant type.

instructors travel etc aside do you guys really feel $300 is too high a price?

cerich:
instructors travel etc aside do you guys really feel $300 is too high a price?
For 3 complete days of instruction from a world-class GUE instructor?

Let me put it this way. My recent 2-day motorcycle class (only 8 hours a day with a generic "I've been riding for 5 years" instructor) was $275 and I think it was a hell of a value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom