Pony bottles in check in luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Considering recent events I was going over TSA's website to see what was new and I noticed something that probably isnt new ....but I wonder what the equipment consequences are.

Bottom line...regarding pony bottles.....it says that a pony can be placed in checked luggage but it must have the valve removed. And, it cant even have the hole covered by the standard green plug.

So, my question is......if you put a pony bottle in your checked in luggage with the valve hole totally open......is it a bad thing???

I put tape on Rich. There was no problem and I watched them check it.

I use clear plastic wrap, although I usually find it removed.

As long as the plane doesn't crash into the ocean no water is going to get into the tank to do any damage. When you get to your destination, just screw that valve back in.

Mike Rushton

If when you use it your air stinks it means that you forgot to remove the dirty socks and old underwears from it.
Seriously, with the new TSA regulations requiring packing liquids in carry on, please make sure that they dont leak in the tank.

In the past I have carried the tanks in separate containers.

JL

My thoughts too.....but then, I have often thought wrong. thanks

homo maris:
If when you use it your air stinks it means that you forgot to remove the dirty socks and old underwears from it.
Seriously, with the new TSA regulations requiring packing liquids in carry on, please make sure that they dont leak in the tank.

In the past I have carried the tanks in separate containers.

JL

What the heck are you talking about? He isn't carrying liquids in a carry on. He is carrying an empty pony bottle with the valve taken out. What is there to leak???

Mike Rushton

I believe there is A LOT of misinformation floating around out there about the new TSA and airline regulations. SCUBA regulations remain the same. Regs, BCs, M/S/F's all allowed in carry on. And, as always, tanks in checked luggage with valve. The ONLY changes to security are as follows:

(1) No Liquids allowed in Carry-on luggage
(2) No carry-on luggage for flights between the US and the UK

NOTHING ELSE has changed! I just flew from JFK to Boston Logan yesterday, this is the drill, guys.

As far as the poster's original question, while I myself dont transport bottles or tanks, I would findd a piece of luggage or a case the snugly fits your pony bottle and its removed valve, and then put that smaller case into a larger suitcase. That way, there is no chance or "cross contamination." i would also reccommend placing all liquids each in their own large plastic bags, sealed and tied. All of them should then be put into a larger plastic bag. This way, if one bottle happens to explode or leak, it will be captured in it's plastic bag, and not harm the other bottles each in their own little bags. The second bag covering them all gives an added layer of security :wink:

rocketry:
(2) No carry-on luggage for flights between the US and the UK

Unless I'm mistaken its no carry-on luggage for flights from the UK to the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom