Instructors/shops requiring 15+ hours of pool time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loosebits

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not sure if this is really going to work but here goes.

I've been trying to start a grass roots effort to help build a market for longer OW classes by encouraging the prospective OW diver to seek out the longest training (s)he can find.

While I've had some success as there is one LDS out there that decided to start offering a longer class in response to my thread (http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2125862&postcount=201) some have pointed out that there are almost no options like this out there besides university programs.

I'd like to build a list of shops, instructors, universities or other organizations that offer programs like this so that we can help support those programs and hopefully help them grow. I am talking about over 15 hours in the pool instead of 6 or 9 or whatever is common today. While I am sure there are many instructors out there that will spend extra time in the water to help a student, I am looking more for offerings that go beyond the standards specified by the agencies for every student.

Please note, I am simply trying to compile a list here, not debate anything.

NCSU:
The basic OW/Nitrox course is an entire semester, as is the Rescue course. Each is 2 days/week, 2 hours/class.

The OW/Nitrox course is about 70% pool time, 30% classroom.
Cost: (latest numbers I have)--$75 course fee and equipment usage fee. You must provide your own mask, fins, and snorkel, and they can usually be had for $100-$150.
3 certification trips
1. all dives in the local quarry for $90
2. certification dives in the quarry + two coastal dives on an artificial reef is $120
3. certification dives in the quarry + 5 dives down in Key Largo is $360.
Certification is NAUI OW/Nitrox.

The Rescue course is about 70% pool time, 15% "real-life" training, and 15% classroom. I define "real-life" training as CPR and advanced O2 administration training. The rescue course also covers a good deal more than just "rescue". Gas planning and nitrox are reviewed, plus a few other quickie deals like altitude diving.
Cost: $85 (?) course fee, plus quarry dives and certification.
Certification is NAUI Rescue (possibly advanced rescue), IANTD Nitrox, and various CPR/O2 administration certs, if I remember correctly they're from DAN.

Great idea. I've been keeping up with your other thread. And as you can see have added the link to my sig line. But why are you limiting it to more pool time. I don't spend that much time in the pool, but I limit my open water classes to 4 students. My wife is also in the pool, so it's 2 students per instructor. We spend about 8 hours in the pool, but at those ratios, we get a lot more done than a class of 8-12 students. We also extend our dive time. When we were certified, we spent the majority of the "dive" checking off skills, then went on a 5 minute tour. In our classes, we spend 5-10 minutes on the required skills and 30-40 minutes on tour and working on buoyancy and diving. I commend what you're trying to do, but I think it's too limiting. What do you think about expanding your search?

I would think that time spent per student rather than an arbitrary number would be a better indicator? If we have a larger class, we spend more time in the pool than we would if we only have two students - depending on the students...sometimes those two students need the same amount of time as a class of eight, it just depends. We might be lucky here in WA - I don't know of many shops that schedule for the minimum possible time to meet standards.

The University of Texas at Austin has a large Scuba program that runs from OW to DM (and unofficially instructor courses as well). There are 16 pool sessions of usually an hour in the water, plus weekly classroom work. The DM course requires a semester of assisting with an OW class and is very hands on. The entire program is run by Peter Oliver, the editor for most of the NAUI textbooks. This program has produced some outstanding divers, many well-trained divers, and a few downright awful divers such as myself :)

(as an aside, I couldn't imagine learning what we learned over the course of the weekend, and I believe that extra time makes a WORLD of difference)

lundysd:
(as an aside, I couldn't imagine learning what we learned over the course of the weekend, and I believe that extra time makes a WORLD of difference)

I completely agree!
At NCSU we've put out a few instructors as well; our aquatics director is a NAUI course director. For the professional levels we usually have all our volunteers get Training Assistant at least, and sometimes Assistant Instructor. Seen a few people get cave certified too. :D
I know people are probably completely fed up with me talking about the NCSU curriculum all the time, but I really truly believe in it. I get very excited about the quality of instruction and the dedicated volunteers that we are blessed with.

As an independent instructor I can easily offer as much pool time as the student needs or wants, as long as my fees are acceptable to them.
My college class meets only once a week and we get in at least 6 2-hour pool sessions. That seems the minimum amount of time for me for a class of 6 or so.

Dive-aholic:
Great idea. I've been keeping up with your other thread. And as you can see have added the link to my sig line. But why are you limiting it to more pool time. I don't spend that much time in the pool, but I limit my open water classes to 4 students. My wife is also in the pool, so it's 2 students per instructor. We spend about 8 hours in the pool, but at those ratios, we get a lot more done than a class of 8-12 students. We also extend our dive time. When we were certified, we spent the majority of the "dive" checking off skills, then went on a 5 minute tour. In our classes, we spend 5-10 minutes on the required skills and 30-40 minutes on tour and working on buoyancy and diving. I commend what you're trying to do, but I think it's too limiting. What do you think about expanding your search?

I guess I'm just trying to keep it simple. I suppose such criteria excludes a lot of great programs out there but I can't really think of a better simple metric. Perhaps number of hours / number of students or something like that but that isn't quite right either (1 hour spent with 1 student probably isn't as good as 2 hours with 2 students). Do you have any advice? I'm afraid if I just ask for a list of good instructors, I'll get all of them as you don't often here how someone thought their training was pathetic.

By the way, thanks for your support.

Great idea. There is a very good course in the Philippines. I'll check out their course length. It would be a good holiday destination with great diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom