Why keep a physical dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was trying to determine reasons to keep a log and came up with these:

-If I want to be a dive professional
-If my dive computer doesn't track them
-For fun

Are there any other valid reasons for doing it?

(Before you kill me, I tried to do multiple searches and for some reason the terms "dive log" don't seem to return any hits for me)

Dive professional is definatly a reason, or even getting an MSD cert. You'll need proof of diving experience. You'll also likely need it for some technical courses.

As far as your computer, most only track a small number of dives.

For other reason, don't forget the old "I have 10000 dives so you better listen to me" argument that pops up here at least once a day :wink:.

Jarrett:

-For fun

(Before you kill me, I tried to do multiple searches and for some reason the terms "dive log" don't seem to return any hits for me)

Jarrett:

-For fun

Reason #1 - What happens if your pc crashes & you don't have a backup?

Reason #2 - I don't know about your software, but mine doesn't allow for a whole lot of detail, thus I keep more extensive notes in my physical log such as the highlights of the dive, fish I've seen, etc.

Reason #3 - You want to show your dive log to a buddy :D

To validate your experience level to further your dive education. Example: Advanced Tri-mix class has a pre-requisite of 25 dives below 140'. A dive log is also necessary to get an experience award from NACD or NSS.

The most important factor in keeping a dive log is that if you're logging an actual dive plan like us good divers should (many of us don't), the fact that emergency services has your location, dive plan, time in (hopefully), gear worn, and info on previous dive (very important if making more than 1 dive per day).

It could save your life or the life of a dive buddy at some point. Heaven forbid that it ever has to happen.

To help anwser questions on this board. How many times do we see "what are the temperature or conditions" for a certain location? I can look at my log book to pass on some info.

Mine is stored in an Excel file, so it isn't "physical".

One big use my log book gets is a record of weight. I dive in a lot of different conditions/equipment, i.e. Dry with Undies, Dry Without Undies, 3ml full, 2mil shorty, steel 95, alum 80, backplate, stab jacket, fresh, salt, with students, without, etc, etc, etc. Rather than try to remember the proper weighting for some of the configurations I use less often, I just use my log as a reference.

It also has places for addresses. When I hook up with a random diver on a boat or at a quarry, I can get his/her contact info and it's where it should be, with my diving record.

James

James Goddard:
One big use my log book gets is a record of weight. I dive in a lot of different conditions/equipment, i.e. Dry with Undies, Dry Without Undies, 3ml full, 2mil shorty, steel 95, alum 80, backplate, stab jacket, fresh, salt, with students, without, etc, etc, etc. Rather than try to remember the proper weighting for some of the configurations I use less often, I just use my log as a reference.

It also has places for addresses. When I hook up with a random diver on a boat or at a quarry, I can get his/her contact info and it's where it should be, with my diving record.

James

I use mine for address's as well as quickie notes that I pick up from other divers. Baby Oil in the hair, Trip Tone the night before, etc. All where learned from other divers on the dive trip.

My old log books, I LOVE to read them once in a while. It is fun to see what I said about stuff I saw 20 years ago! lol - some funny observations to be sure.

Also, I usually write a lot more than just facts. I used to try to draw the odd things I saw (now I know the weren't "odd"), and I used to write stuff about my dive friends, buddies, the boat, whatever.

My first log book was a hardcover book with only 1 line per entry, and I used to write all over the margins and everywhere. I guess my log books were always more like what they now would call a journal - but they are really fun to read years later - buddies forgotten, dive sites remembered and all that. ;;sigh;;

Also, think about showing them to your great-grandkids! You won't be able to do that with a computer, I'll bet. I vote for the old-fashioned log book - and fill it out right away while everything is fresh in your mind.

Patti

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom