No more STINK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StraitsdiverGeo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have found a way to end the stink in my dive gear. I had boots that smelled of vomit or dead night crawlers that have been left in the sun. Most of my dive gear was begining to take on the funk but I have found a cure from a friend.
I take a large tub and place all my smelly gear in it and then drizzel some antibacterial Dawn dishsoap over everything, (orange seem to work best) and then fill the tub with some water. Then get down with my hands and do a little scrubbing and then let it sit for an hour or two.
After wich I rinse everything off with the hose and then hang stuff up to dry. This has worked well for me and I hope it will help some one else down the road.

Regards, George

This is the same thing my wife and I do with all our neoprene gear and it works great. :)

Oh... I just buy this stuff at the dive shop... comes in a bottle for multi-use, can buy it as a single use packet. It used to be called "Sink the Stink" but now I think it's called Zym (or something like that). I just squirt it in a big plastic tote, fill with water (no more than 20 gallons) and dip the gear. Literally, I leave the gear in the tote for about 2-3 minutes and it's done. It drip dries, and no stink. It's awesome!

Wow- my gear doesn't stink. Maybe you all should consider personal hygene... hey- I'm only joking!

But my gear DOESN'T stink... at least not yet. I've owned most of it for a few years and it just rinse it all out very well and then set it to dry- for days even. I leave my wetsuit inside out and don't ever turn it rightside out until I'm ready to put it on- that way at least if it's got some nast-gunk growing on it- it's growing on the outside of the suit, not the inside...

Maybe my gear DOES stink and I just don't notice it. You know- how some people have B.O. and never seem to notice it? Maybe that's secretly me- maybe that's why I had to resort to virtual divers on this board to find dive buddies. Boy- erparamedic- you're IN for it!

Simple Green..................End of story

trucker girl:
Wow- my gear doesn't stink. Maybe you all should consider personal hygene... hey- I'm only joking!

But my gear DOESN'T stink... at least not yet. I've owned most of it for a few years and it just rinse it all out very well and then set it to dry- for days even. I leave my wetsuit inside out and don't ever turn it rightside out until I'm ready to put it on- that way at least if it's got some nast-gunk growing on it- it's growing on the outside of the suit, not the inside...

Maybe my gear DOES stink and I just don't notice it. You know- how some people have B.O. and never seem to notice it? Maybe that's secretly me- maybe that's why I had to resort to virtual divers on this board to find dive buddies. Boy- erparamedic- you're IN for it!

Try 3 dives a day for a month in a very humid country...:D

Diver Dennis:

I hear ya- I imagine the quarry and an immediate trip home to my bathtub might just be cheating!

Any opinons on whether dish soap or simple green might be damaging to anything? I might just use water but I use A LOT of it- I've been trying to avoid using any soaps on my stuff (which doesn't stink :) )

Diver Dennis:

I'm with you on that one Dennis! I suppose were are lucky here in Grand Bahama because they chlorinate the $H!T out of our water. We have a 100 gallon rinse tank that I clean my stuff in after our 3rd dive each day. The water actually smells like a swimming pool when the tank is first filled.

Then I just hang my stuff up in our compressor room and let it dry overnight. No smell so far. Although the occasional dead fish floating at the dock isn't to pleasant in the morning!

Mike Rushton

trucker girl:
I hear ya- I imagine the quarry and an immediate trip home to my bathtub might just be cheating!

Any opinons on whether dish soap or simple green might be damaging to anything? I might just use water but I use A LOT of it- I've been trying to avoid using any soaps on my stuff (which doesn't stink :) )

I'm afraid to use Simple Green on my gear although I know divers that do. I've just seen what Simple Green can do. Take's paint right off a wall. I just dip my gear in the bathtub filled w/ 1/2 bottle of Listerine & some water. Swish it around a bit then hang it up to dry. It works great! Takes the stink right out!

ScubaCatgirl:
I'm afraid to use Simple Green on my gear although I know divers that do. I've just seen what Simple Green can do. Take's paint right off a wall. I just dip my gear in the bathtub filled w/ 1/2 bottle of Listerine & some water. Swish it around a bit then hang it up to dry. It works great! Takes the stink right out!

And your gear will smell "minty fresh" :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom