Threesome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is the consensus? I will be in Bonaire at the Sand dollar with my 15yr old daughter and 13 yr old son in 9 days and plan on doing a lot of shallow shore diving at the house (Bari) reef. Should I try to find a buddy there to round out the group to 4 or do what I would prefer and dive as a threesome. It is my daughters first dive trip since certification in April and my son and I have about 30 logged dives. All are comfortable underwater and good w/skills. Also if there are times they don't want to dive I would love to do some very conservative solo dives just for the solitude. Am I crazy? :huh:
Ed

Personally I would try to find a fourth.

Stay with your daughter and let your son buddy up.

Keep the two buddy pairs close together.

Good diving environment so it shouldn't be such a problem.

the K

I am assuming that both son and daughter will act as responsible buddies then I see no problems with the threesome.
I might recommend that you rent a DM for your first dive to come along and show you the reef and keep an eye on things, but assuming that works out then just dive as a threesome.
All stick together, you all are familliar with your equipment. I feel that as a group you would be safer as you are than adding an instant buddy.

If your profile is correct (<50 dives) then I feel that you have insufficient expierence for diving solo. :shakehead

It should be easy enough to find a group to join if you fancy some extra dives. Go on some of the boat trips, you cna always buddy up with a DM. It is amazing what they can find that you of I would swim right by.
Have a fantastic holiday, I am envious. :sappy:

I'd take them one at a time, so that I could give each one my full attention throughout the dive, as well as my full assistance should a problem arise.

DSD

With you having less than 50 dives and your daughter just starting, I would suggest you either dive with them one at a time or find a good 4th, at least for the first few days. Bari, like most all Bonaire reefs is pretty easy and can easily be dove shallow but with really new divers you need to keep a close eye on both of them. Sames goes for the solo dives. It is sooooo easy to get lost in the dive and forget trivial things like, keeping an eye on your air pressure. You might want to go to the Bonaire board and see if you can find someone there who would be willing to buddy with you.
www.bonairetalk.com

Now if you want a good guide, I would be happy to come down and go along with you, just pay my air....I can sleep on the floor....
Sorry, I just got back a couple of weeks ago and am in serious Bonaire withdrawal. :)

I would advise against the threesome and the solos. Although I have done threesomes before, they are really difficult. Somebody, maybe everybody, usually ends up effectively solo. I have had some times with very experienced divers when a threesome worked pretty well, but it is definitely less than optimal. If you have to, pay for a guide to dive with one of the kids.

es601:
What is the consensus? I will be in Bonaire at the Sand dollar with my 15yr old daughter and 13 yr old son in 9 days and plan on doing a lot of shallow shore diving at the house (Bari) reef. Should I try to find a buddy there to round out the group to 4 or do what I would prefer and dive as a threesome. It is my daughters first dive trip since certification in April and my son and I have about 30 logged dives. All are comfortable underwater and good w/skills. Also if there are times they don't want to dive I would love to do some very conservative solo dives just for the solitude. Am I crazy? :huh:
Ed

Hi Ed,

Buddy team size is one issue but I tend to agree with Dan...take one at a time. You're talking about supervising two divers and you are a new diver, your son is a new diver and your daughter is newer than new.

I know you're the dad and the decision maker but I don't think you're qualified to supervise any one in the water. So...you might even hire a pro to go with you for a few dives at least until you find out if your daughter remembers anything at all.

divingjd:
I would advise against the threesome and the solos. Although I have done threesomes before, they are really difficult. Somebody, maybe everybody, usually ends up effectively solo. I have had some times with very experienced divers when a threesome worked pretty well, but it is definitely less than optimal. If you have to, pay for a guide to dive with one of the kids.

I disagree that three man teams are, by nature, less than optimal. There are several advantages to a three man team.

It's like anything else, if you don't know how, it aint gonna work. Assuming that all the divers on the team are qualified and capable of the planned dive, either two or three works fine. When there are more than three, I prefer to split the group un into groups of two and three.

As others have said, diving with three STINKS. If you must, then make sure your kids understand the dive plan, emergency plans, and stick to them. Also, making sure that the threesome makes eye contact FREQUENTLY with ALL members of the group helps. Make it clear that each of you is equally responsible for the other two divers and that this will take a little extra work underwater than it usually does with two divers. One more tip, diving in a single file line with three divers makes it hard to see everyone. I suggest trying to dive like the blue angels, side by side by side, when possible. And don't let them get in front of you together with you behind them watching them because it makes you feel better. That will only lessen their safety by promoting a "dad is in control" feeling that doesn't really exist underwater. Basically you all need to feel equally responsible and in control.

The good news is Bonaire diving, Bari and other places close by, is very easy. Shallow, no current, great viz, plenty to see. No need to go below 40 feet in Bonaire. You guys will have a blast!!! Just take it slow and keep the dive plan simple and shallow.

scubadobadoo:
As others have said, diving with three STINKS.
Nah.

It's just that this would not be the perfect team in this case. I've done plenty of dives in a three diver team without any problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom