You swim with the fishes? I swim with the bats!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Didn't know where to throw this post.......but

Was at Dutch Spring on Sunday 13th and was there just to grab some dive time but my LDS
Instructors talked me into getting 2 dives outta the way for my AOW. Did my Nav and a Search
and Recover dive, then a third with a buddy of mine with his scooter. Their very cool, and I
gotta say that wall on by the penisula is way to awesome.

But I gotta say the highlight of my day was a very unusual sight. I've never seen this before
nor have I ever heard of it. As I was standing in the shallows waiting for some people to
finish up their nav courses and talking to my Instructor I glance out and spy this little
creatur swimming towards me. My first thought is "damn is that a mouse?" I watch as it gets closer
and closer to me and finally I can see it clearly and I'm like "***!! It's a bat!!!" And sure enough
it swims about 2ft from me and hell yeah its a bat!! I put the mask on and go under and watch the
little guy make it to shore. Everyone around me was like..."That was a bat??!!" And this was around
noon time, no time for a bat to even be out, no less swimming. I figured the poor guy had a hellva
night out the previous night, got wasted in the bat cave, went drunk flying and had to ditch in the water.
Must have woke up and thought "Where the **** am I??" Second thought...."Oh ****......I'm never drinking
again!!"" And so the poor little ****er had to swim to shore.

To bad I didn't have my camera on me, that woulda made a great shot!

you could go for your bat diver specialty now...

that is pretty cool, I have bats that fly around my pool and drink from the surface as they swoop down and scare the hell out of my daughters, but other than that, I have never seen one swim. Hey I wonder if their echo location works underwater too. Dolphbat...its a new species.

Blacthorn:
you could go for your bat diver specialty now...

that is pretty cool, I have bats that fly around my pool and drink from the surface as they swoop down and scare the hell out of my daughters, but other than that, I have never seen one swim. Hey I wonder if their echo location works underwater too. Dolphbat...its a new species.

ROFL....looking at the little guy as he swam it was like he was doing the "chicken dance" his wings tucked in but just a pumping!!!

How odd. I would bet that it was probably sick. Becareful not to get too close to those things. They can bite you & you'd never know it because their teeth are so sharp. They are also one of the biggest carriers of rabies in NA. along with possums, & racoons.

Hmmm wrong about possums, right about racoons. Don't forget about foxes. Evidently, possums succomb to the disease before they reach the "typical" rabies symptoms. At least that's what my vet sister tells me. Heck, we had a rabid beaver bite a swimmer here in NC.

did it bite the swimmers nipple off? (sorry Jeff Foxworthy moment there)

Allison Finch:
Hmmm wrong about possums, right about racoons. Don't forget about foxes. Evidently, possums succomb to the disease before they reach the "typical" rabies symptoms. At least that's what my vet sister tells me. Heck, we had a rabid beaver bite a swimmer here in NC.

Could be right, I've been out of the veterinary field for a while. Things get a little muddled up. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom