Dive boat mask defog?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serrada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I always keep my mask dry and add defog and give it a quick rinse in the mask water bucket on the dive boat. After the first dive I am very careful not to get my mask wet on the inside and repeat my defog steps above.

On the other hand, I see this action happen all the time and don’t understand why? Many divers put the defog in their mask and throw it into the mask water bucket and leave it in there until they dive and after their first dive they get out of the water and just throw it back into the mask water bucket until there second dive. Am I missing something? I’m afraid my mask will get all fogged up if I try this.

Do whatever works for you. I have used so many different methods over the years, they all seem to work for me. I rarely use any defog and just dip in the soapy solution bucket before I jump in. Or I just spit and quick rinse. Mine never fogs up.

I dont use anti fog. Before i rig up for the dive,i would step onto the dive platform and spit into the mask then dip it into the water. And before descending i would repeat the step again, my mask dont fog up after that.

dive_lover88:
I dont use anti fog. Before i rig up for the dive,i would step onto the dive platform and spit into the mask then dip it into the water. And before descending i would repeat the step again, my mask dont fog up after that.

I got bad spit. Mine never works for me. Two seconds into the dive it fogs. I often blow a lot of air out of my nose maybe that's the problem. I have to buy Sea Drops the fancy spit.

I'm with the spit method. Haven't had a mask fog up yet :)

ive seen several things as well. i've used sea drops recently, and that seems to work for me. what i do, is gear up all the way, and then as im getting up to go exit the boat, i put the seadrops in, spread it all around, dunk it in the tank as i walk by, then put it on my face pretty much as soon as possible, and then get wet! by putting it on at the last minute (when its dry), i found it's worked the best for me.

I can spit with the best of them, but it doesn't always work for my mask. A few years ago, someone turned me on to toothpaste!!! That's right, nothing fancy, just plain, paste (no gel) Crest toothpaste. I usually will take a small drop and smear the paste on the inside of the mask (sometimes outside, too, if it's been a few weeks since the last dive). Let it dry and then...important step...RINSE the mask clean and clear of any residue.

Not only has this worked marvillously for me (for just a few $$) but you have the added bonus of a really fresh smelling mask for diving. Ummmmm, mint!

Kevin

k4man:
but you have the added bonus of a really fresh smelling mask for diving. Ummmmm, mint!

Kevin

:lol: :eyebrow: :lol:

I think a big differentiator is keeping your mask clean. Toothpaste does this by adding a mild abrasive to the mix. I think most of the defoggers are simply helping this along (which is why the J&J baby shampoo is popular). A little soap left behind helps reduce the surface tension, but being clean is really key.

I listened to a very experienced diver once tell a student that a big key to defogger working was to rub it in really, really well. (I think this is basically a cleaning action.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom