How deep can I go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Working2Hd

Registered
Reaction score
Here's my question, I am going diving in Cayman in a month and a half. I have read that some of the dives can be maybe 70-90 feet MAX. I am OW only and am taking my nitrox course next week.

When I scheduled my trip with a reputable dive company I asked if I could go to that depth with the group (I am going alone on this trip so I'll be buddied with someone there I presume) and I was told yes.

The way it was explained to me was there are "tubes" that can start at that depth and you'll exit around 40 feet or so which is why I asked. He said I didn't have to go that deep but if I wanted to there wouldn't be a problem as long as I was OK.

Will I run into any problems when I get there because of my certification? I did tell them I was OW cert only.

I ask because of a previous post I just read regarding going past 60'

By the book, OW divers should limit themselves to 60'. After advanced (AOW) and for the limits of recreational diving, the limit is set at 130' max.

Bottom line is, select your dives carefully and ask about the max. depths in advance. DIVE ONLY WHAT you are comfortable with and tell the dive company this. If they are really reputable, they will not only honor your request, they will welcome it!!

Good luck.

Kevin

The depth limit for any dive is the bottom. Whether you return or not is up to you and your skill level.

Use common sense and your experience level as your guide.

Honestly there is no exact answer that anybody on the internet can give you regarding this.

My best advice is to set yourself limits that you feel comfortable with and then stick with them. Let your dive operator and your buddies know what your comfortable with ahead of time. Dont feel compelled to make a dive just because everybody else is going to 100' or going into the swime through.

Have a good time in Caymens, you are going to love it.

My friend (was certified for 1 week) before going to Cozumel, just returned. He dove to 110ft. With a SUUNTO COBRA computer. He said he felt very comfortable. I have been diving for 20 years, 900+dives, I forget about the "mental" anguish these topics can bring up. Bottom line is 100-130ft for all practical purposes is as safe as a thirty foot dive (from an expansion injury standpoint). He experienced no problems from operators using his PADI OW cert. to those depths. Just remember take your time, plan and always breathe. Have fun, he said visibilty was 150+ last week!

No, it's NEW open water divers should not dive past 60 feet. The problem that new open water divers would run into in Cayman is gas management. Narcosis and impaired judgement could become a factor at 90 feet. You need to be very, very comfortable in the water and not panic from something as simple as a flooded mask. You also need good bouyancy control. The cert doesn't matter so much as the experience to handle problems at depth.

I would recommend taking the AOW course before you go, they can probably incorporate in with your Nitrox class. There are situations such as getting narc'd that you should probably know how to handle or at least what to expect. The limits are set for a reason, and it is always better to be safe than sorry.

cascbagrl:
I would recommend taking the AOW course before you go, they can probably incorporate in with your Nitrox class. There are situations such as getting narc'd that you should probably know how to handle or at least what to expect. The limits are set for a reason, and it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Don't listen to her! Go as deep as you want! 180+ on a 50 CU and a spare air:D Just keep going till you can hear Pink Floyd

J/K

The question should be: how deep are you comfortable going?

Good luck, and dive safe!

Alex

some of you are just too funny!!!! good thing we have a sense of humor :)

I have 12 dives, not that much compared to you folks but enough to know that I won't panic if my mask floods. Grew up in the water my whole life so very comfortable in it. Never had any problems regarding panic or anything like it on any previous dives but I am smart enough to know my limits and will respect them. Just wondered what the masses thought. thanks all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom