PADI asked me to participate in a survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubarealtor

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
here is what i put in the comments section:

My open water and advance open water instructors did a good job and complied with all of the PADI requirements. However, I believe the requirements are too lax. I think the open water as well as advanced open water courses should include some rescue techniques as well as much more training in gas and dive planning. It really seems that we are just being prepared to go dive with the DM, not to be competent divers going out on our own. I'm actually not going to go diving without a much more experienced diver until I have completed the rescue diver course as I do not feel that I have the necessary skills at this point.

This is not a criticism of PADI per se as this level of training is common to the entire dive industry. The requirements have simply been lowered too far in response to market pressures for shorter training times. At some point one of the major dive organizations is going to have to draw the line. I feel that PADI, as the largest organization, should take the lead in this effort.

what do yall think?

Hi,
I agree with all that you have said. 1st of all, congradulations on being so honest, and putting ego aside...most difficult in an industry that often times seems very ego driven. I have seen alot of new divers who seem to boast their certification level as some sort of testimonial as to what type of diver they are. The fact that you mentioned that you do not feel quite confident enough, based on your training so far, to go diving without the lead of a qualified professional is honest, and more importantly, playing it very safe. How often I have seen people plow through their certifications, only meeting the minimum # of dives for each certification level.

If you want to improve your diving & gain more confidence, don't just advance through courses, but dive, dive, dive. An area that I feel can really help you gain confidence in going diving without the guidance of a professional is, of course, navigation. Spend some dives tooling around with your compass.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with your opinion on the lowering of standards & time spent at the begining certification levels that has occured in recent years. Sadly enough, I do feel as if it was more in the interest of unsuring a higher quantity of divers, rather that a higher quality. Your response to PADI was more than appropriate, honest, and tooks some guts. :blinking:
Good luck & have fun with all in diving & life!

The only thing they're likely to hear in ALL of that is that you're going to PAY for more courses,.....(rescue training). Cha-ching $$

LOL

Don't kid yourself, the only lead they're taking is the one going in the other direction.

I totally applaud you in taking the time to give them your honest opinion, but please do not forget to remember the most important rule.....Never hold your breath :wink: as it applies to this as well.

Regards

Bingo!

I thnk it is irresposible of the certification agecies to offer the same cert with fewer skills. If you want to certify divers who aren't interested in expending the time and energy to do the entire course, offer a "Limited Open Water" cert. where the diver can only dive with a dive master.

Our society has the tendency to move to mediocrity or worse. The agencies are too interested in a paycheck to do what is right, and this trickles down to the instructors.

My class work consisted of 30 minutes to take the test and 1:15 to complete the pool skills. The instructor was having a hard time filling classes, so he offered the course in a short form. He also violated just about every course requirement in doing so.

My open water was just as good I got out 3 times on a 45 minute dive. OW cert complete.

thank goodness I found this place so I could learn how to dive.

My AOW instructor was a BER. Ilearned a ton asthe standards were exceeded in every way.
pc

pcarlson1911:
I thnk it is irresposible of the certification agecies to offer the same cert with fewer skills. If you want to certify divers who aren't interested in expending the time and energy to do the entire course, offer a "Limited Open Water" cert. where the diver can only dive with a dive master.

Isn't that what PADI calls "PADI Scuba Diver"?

FYI, I think it's a misleading name.

viajerochevere,
Congratulations! Both on your certification and for being able to clearly, concisely put into words the truth of current standards.

I have to agree with Scuba Steve - I think they will get the first sentence and that you're willing to pay more money.

PADI seems to hear much like a dog: blah, blah, blah, blah, Spot, blah, blah.

blah, blah, blah, PADI, blah, blah, GOOD, blah, blah, blah, MORE, blah, blah, MONEY, blah, blah

I wish they'd ask me to participate in a survey.

I did the survey about my rescue course and stated that it was the first that was even remotely challenging.

pcarlson1911:
......... If you want to certify divers who aren't interested in expending the time and energy to do the entire course, offer a "Limited Open Water" cert. where the diver can only dive with a dive master.

As Abitton says, it's called the Scuba Diver Certification (In Padi parlance).

I agree it's a little misleading, but that is easily solved by discussing the limitations of the cert to the diver.

I wish more Instructors would choose this option myself over giving full cert's like they're doing now.

To me this is a cludge, but walks the fine line between making a client happy because he has a plastic card that say anything to the effect of "Scuba DIver" on it, but it has the limitations of forcing you to dive with a "pro".

That's what's going to happen in most cases anyway, but at least it may make that 'pro' a little more leary about where they take you and the level of attention you're likely to get.

regards

Back
Top Bottom