A regular diving day, what to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

im_a_piranha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey there! I just got certified and pretty much would like to start diving with friends. What does a responsible diver bring with them during their dives and also those that stay behind (such as first aid kit etc)? I'd like to make sure I got everything covered with my equipment as a recreational AND safe diver as well. I'd like to have as much fun during my dives without forgetting safety :)

im_a_piranha:
Hey there! I just got certified and pretty much would like to start diving with friends. What does a responsible diver bring with them during their dives and also those that stay behind (such as first aid kit etc)? I'd like to make sure I got everything covered with my equipment as a recreational AND safe diver as well. I'd like to have as much fun during my dives without forgetting safety :)
A lot of that depends on where you are diving. When I go on a trip, (a.k.a. flight) I bring only what I need. When I go to a local quarry I and am driving, I bring it all. Tanks, extra tanks, lead, extra lead, drysuit for deep, wetsuit for shallow, first aid kit, tool box, extra reg, etc, etc, etc.

James

im_a_piranha:
I'm just talking about beach dives on a Saturday morning in California :D with a buddy or two.. Thanks!

If you are driving, I'd say this:

Bring what you need to dive. Also bring whatever else you have that you think might help out if somthing goes wrong. Most importantly bring yourself. The more you go dive, the more you'll figure out exactly what you should bring.

As for little things that can help you out:

allen wrenches
adjustable wrenches
a cutting tool
duct tape
zip ties
extra o-rings
band aids (see duct tape in a pinch)
something that doesn't smell like beach to change into for the drive home
a towel or two
an easyup if it would be used
a tarp
a cooler with lunch and drinks (hit a water bottle regularly)
your patience
a good attitude
a watchfull eye
a good sense of humor

Food. And water.

No kidding. During surface intervals be sure to re-hydrate and have a snack. You'll minimize your chances of DCS and your body needs fuel to stave off getting chilled, even in warm climates.

Also, bring a wrap to keep from getting chilled, particularly if you keep your wetsuit on during surface intervals. The wicking effect can sure suck the heat right out of your body.

And don't forget the camera. We love seeing pictures here on the board.

If you're not sure about all the tools, specifically--not to mention what to do with them-- lots of shops sell a version of a "save a dive" kit. While you may not be Joe-fix-it yet, this has the basic repair/replacement parts such as O-rings, replacement mouthpieces for regs, fin and mask straps in case one breaks, etc. It is VERY basic, but sometimes simple is best.

Kevin

Bring: dive flag and a cell phone (assuming there is somewhere safe to leave it).

I like to bring water for rinsing off. A sun shower is great if you've got a place to place it (e.g. on top of a van). If not, a 1 or 2 gallon plant/insect sprayer filled with water makes a quick and easy "shower" to wash some of the salt off yourself and gear.

Bring plastic buckets for wet gear (it helps keep your car clean.) A tarp for minimizing sand/grit is essential.

James Goddard:
your patience
a good attitude
a watchfull eye
a good sense of humor

+1 on these. They are important for a dive to be enjoyable.

As he also stated, a good save-a-dive kit to fit your needs as well as a first aid kit are a must. You would be surprised how many times I've been on dives where others didn't have even a little dive kit and blew an o-ring. Fin straps are also a must in the kit, as they can be used for fin straps, knife straps, mask straps, etc., that is if you're a little mechanically inclined.

ItsBruce:
Bring: dive flag and a cell phone (assuming there is somewhere safe to leave it).

And, make sure you know where you are! It's amazing how many calls to the emergency services go:

Caller: "There's been a dive accident. We need an ambulance."
Operator: "Where are you."
Caller: "Erm...."

And I second the 'O' rings. I've even had dive instructors come up begging for 'O' rings before so they can make their dives.

James has it spot on. I've used every one of those things in the past year. We have it all organized down to a small bag we literally just keep in the car.

We also have a travelling dive flag, a cell phone, and something for stings which came in handy about a month ago when some guy got a face full of Lion's Mane jellyfish.

Back
Top Bottom