So... Anyone else have my same buoyancy Problem???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Delaware Dave

Registered
Reaction score
OK... this may sound like a stupid problem and I really don’t know what type of response I’m looking for, but I recently changed from AL 80s to HP 120s. Now not only do I have to wear very little weight, but I don’t have to were any at all! Actually when I’m in my 4mm mild temp suit I sink like a figin brick even with no weight. I’m no body builder with 2% body fat, just a 5' 11", 160 lbs. normal built guy. Should I be wearing a life vest or something for buoyancy? :confused:

Essentially you are overweighted which is not a good thing. Why did you move up to the HP 120?

I moved up to 120s for more time under water between bottle changes... and to lose some of the wieght I was carrying with the AL 80s

What amount of weight were you using with the AL 80's?

Delaware Dave:
Should I be wearing a life vest or something for buoyancy? :confused:

Sounds like you should be wearing a drysuit. For some redundant buoyancy.

HP120s in the wetsuit.... I am wondering who won't be overweighted.
The drysuit is way to go with AL plate.

most bcd's with lift 30-40 pounds, and you could buy a new wet suit, too... odds are you can fill your bcd a bit with air and be okay... the only down side is that if you have a bcd failure, the only way to get up is a set of strong legs!

you could carry a small lift bag or emergency sausage to fill with a little air as a redundant bcd...

there is always a solution, but being neutrally bouyant is important!

good luck.

--c

The stragiht forward answer is the one I imagine you already know but are trying to avoid. With your current exposure proptection, and your buopyancy characteristics, the HP120 is the wrong tank for you as it makes you negative. You should probably have tried diving with one before buying one.
Any subsequent fix that does not result in you being neutrally buoyant is unnecessarily risky IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom