Pool practice how serious are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The only local diving I get is the pool or the murky river? If I want some real diving I got to travel. I do about 8 or 9 pool dives each year to keep up skills. If you don't get away to dive much, do you get in any pool practice?

Skills I refresh?

assembly and break down of all gear
complete mask removal and clearing
reg removal
reg retrieval
buoyancy control
free flow simulation
giant stride entry,
rear roll entry,
side shoulder entry
slow ascent and transfer to snorkel

I'm in the pool all the time helping my instructor with classes...Four times every 2 weeks. But I also get alot of OW dives in with classes and with friends. I hate it for you. You can never practice skills too much and it's a great show of dedication that you keep with it. But man...you gotta find some way to do some fun diving. Try to find somewhere close to home that you can do that. There should be something somewhere...quarries, lakes...Did you get certified where you live? If so then there has got to be something within driving distance...Good luck...

Every even number month on the first Thursday, our dive club meets at LDS pool to practice skills, and refresh our rescue methods. Plus the LDS lets us try out new equipment. I think it helps a lot to refresh the skills you have learned in various classes. Oh, and every odd month we meet at local eating establishment just to talk divng and look at any new videos or pictures.

Very:14:
Even though I help with dive classes almost every week and do open waters once a month, I always take some time to partice skills. If I see a video of a new skill, I'll take some time in the pool to try it.

I think it's great that you do this, don't stop. It makes you a better/safe diver. I wish that most of the divers I run across had your mind set.

Thanks for letting us know that you care about us by keeping your skills up. As I see it one resuce to make:D .

Whare do you live? How far must you go to find some "real water"? I'm lucky the Pacific Ocean is 9 minutes from my house. I can dive in the ocean two or three days a week

I suppose if All I had was a swimming pool to do drills in I'd start making the drills harder. For example try doing the lost budy and air share drils with your mask blacked out. Can you clear the mask while inverted with feet up head down. If it gets boring make it harder. For example (we had to do this in a class) can you toss your mask in the deep and, dive down with just a swimm suit and no fins fetch the mask and have it clear before you get to the surface. OK now toss in the fins and weight belt and have the fins, mask and belt on before you surface with a clear mask.

Ron Brandt:
Even whem I'm not in teach mode I practice in the pool....I practice my demo's.
Of the 25 plus years of diving I have rarely gone a month without being in the water.

Try removing and replacing your mask while hovering in dive position.

Ron

Yes, good idea. I remove mask while kneeling on the bottom

I wish I had access to a pool -- it would make drilling so much easier :(

rawls:
I'm in the pool all the time helping my instructor with classes...Four times every 2 weeks. But I also get alot of OW dives in with classes and with friends. I hate it for you. You can never practice skills too much and it's a great show of dedication that you keep with it. But man...you gotta find some way to do some fun diving. Try to find somewhere close to home that you can do that. There should be something somewhere...quarries, lakes...Did you get certified where you live? If so then there has got to be something within driving distance...Good luck...

No, got certified in L.A. many years ago. Used to like diving with kelp at Catalina but that was trek as well. Here there is just the dirty OH River and a couple of quarries 3+ hours a way. Yea, it sucks, but I do have some good whitewater kayaking 1hr 50 minutes away as well as a ski slope 15 minutes away. So am lacking with scuba, but have some other stuff to make up for it. Everyplace has their pros and cons. I keep buying lotto tickets in any case...would like to get to Micronesia, Yap, Palau.

ChrisA:
Whare do you live? How far must you go to find some "real water"? I'm lucky the Pacific Ocean is 9 minutes from my house. I can dive in the ocean two or three days a week

I suppose if All I had was a swimming pool to do drills in I'd start making the drills harder. For example try doing the lost budy and air share drils with your mask blacked out. Can you clear the mask while inverted with feet up head down. If it gets boring make it harder. For example (we had to do this in a class) can you toss your mask in the deep and, dive down with just a swimm suit and no fins fetch the mask and have it clear before you get to the surface. OK now toss in the fins and weight belt and have the fins, mask and belt on before you surface with a clear mask.

Wow, you are lucky. I was at Fla in May and did some diving but it took 2 days to drive and the gas money sucks. Alms $500 in gas for that trip, but I went all around the springs. Thanks for the drills, never thought of most of them.

Back
Top Bottom