Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool practice how serious are you?

Registered

Old cruster trying to be
    a good slacker!

Dives
    50 - 99

Pool practice how serious are you?

The only local diving I get is the pool or the murky river? If I want some real diving I got to travel. I do about 8 or 9 pool dives each year to keep up skills. If you don't get away to dive much, do you get in any pool practice?

Skills I refresh?

assembly and break down of all gear
    complete mask removal and clearing
    reg removal
    reg retrieval
    buoyancy control
    free flow simulation
    giant stride entry,
    rear roll entry,
    side shoulder entry
    slow ascent and transfer to snorkel

Scuba Instructor

Writing a self help book

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Even whem I'm not in teach mode I practice in the pool....I practice my demo's.
    Of the 25 plus years of diving I have rarely gone a month without being in the water.

Try removing and replacing your mask while hovering in dive position.

Ron
    Ronnie - What a life ! Life's Short,Dive Hard.
    Adventure Sports
    Ron Brandt Adventure Tours
    Pelagic Ventures

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    I'm in the pool all the time helping my instructor with classes...Four times every 2 weeks. But I also get alot of OW dives in with classes and with friends. I hate it for you. You can never practice skills too much and it's a great show of dedication that you keep with it. But man...you gotta find some way to do some fun diving. Try to find somewhere close to home that you can do that. There should be something somewhere...quarries, lakes...Did you get certified where you live? If so then there has got to be something within driving distance...Good luck...

Divemaster

Old diver, but still learning
    new tricks on every dive.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Every even number month on the first Thursday, our dive club meets at LDS pool to practice skills, and refresh our rescue methods. Plus the LDS lets us try out new equipment. I think it helps a lot to refresh the skills you have learned in various classes. Oh, and every odd month we meet at local eating establishment just to talk divng and look at any new videos or pictures.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Very:14:
    Even though I help with dive classes almost every week and do open waters once a month, I always take some time to partice skills. If I see a video of a new skill, I'll take some time in the pool to try it.

I think it's great that you do this, don't stop. It makes you a better/safe diver. I wish that most of the divers I run across had your mind set.

Thanks for letting us know that you care about us by keeping your skills up. As I see it one resuce to make .

dmmike
    If it ain't dark, and it ain't cold, it ain't New England diving

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Whare do you live? How far must you go to find some "real water"? I'm lucky the Pacific Ocean is 9 minutes from my house. I can dive in the ocean two or three days a week

I suppose if All I had was a swimming pool to do drills in I'd start making the drills harder. For example try doing the lost budy and air share drils with your mask blacked out. Can you clear the mask while inverted with feet up head down. If it gets boring make it harder. For example (we had to do this in a class) can you toss your mask in the deep and, dive down with just a swimm suit and no fins fetch the mask and have it clear before you get to the surface. OK now toss in the fins and weight belt and have the fins, mask and belt on before you surface with a clear mask.

Registered

Old cruster trying to be
    a good slacker!

Dives
    50 - 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brandt
    Even whem I'm not in teach mode I practice in the pool....I practice my demo's.
    Of the 25 plus years of diving I have rarely gone a month without being in the water.

Try removing and replacing your mask while hovering in dive position.

Ron

Yes, good idea. I remove mask while kneeling on the bottom

Assistant Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    I wish I had access to a pool -- it would make drilling so much easier

Registered

Old cruster trying to be
    a good slacker!

Dives
    50 - 99
    Quote Originally Posted by rawls
    I'm in the pool all the time helping my instructor with classes...Four times every 2 weeks. But I also get alot of OW dives in with classes and with friends. I hate it for you. You can never practice skills too much and it's a great show of dedication that you keep with it. But man...you gotta find some way to do some fun diving. Try to find somewhere close to home that you can do that. There should be something somewhere...quarries, lakes...Did you get certified where you live? If so then there has got to be something within driving distance...Good luck...

No, got certified in L.A. many years ago. Used to like diving with kelp at Catalina but that was trek as well. Here there is just the dirty OH River and a couple of quarries 3+ hours a way. Yea, it sucks, but I do have some good whitewater kayaking 1hr 50 minutes away as well as a ski slope 15 minutes away. So am lacking with scuba, but have some other stuff to make up for it. Everyplace has their pros and cons. I keep buying lotto tickets in any case...would like to get to Micronesia, Yap, Palau.

Registered

Old cruster trying to be
    a good slacker!

Dives
    50 - 99
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    Whare do you live? How far must you go to find some "real water"? I'm lucky the Pacific Ocean is 9 minutes from my house. I can dive in the ocean two or three days a week

I suppose if All I had was a swimming pool to do drills in I'd start making the drills harder. For example try doing the lost budy and air share drils with your mask blacked out. Can you clear the mask while inverted with feet up head down. If it gets boring make it harder. For example (we had to do this in a class) can you toss your mask in the deep and, dive down with just a swimm suit and no fins fetch the mask and have it clear before you get to the surface. OK now toss in the fins and weight belt and have the fins, mask and belt on before you surface with a clear mask.

Wow, you are lucky. I was at Fla in May and did some diving but it took 2 days to drive and the gas money sucks. Alms $500 in gas for that trip, but I went all around the springs. Thanks for the drills, never thought of most of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast