Underwater Signalling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lonely Boy

Contributor
Reaction score
What is your usually way to signal your buddy underwater, if he is at a distance away and not looking at your direction?

Anyone has used those Hammerhead or Subduck product? What is your experience on such product?

Thank you for your advice.

I use a brass snap shackle to bang against my tank. THe metal-on-metal sound carries fairly well.

I have used the subduck-type products, and they work well too. Only problem I have is that the operator I work for uses a subduck as an emergency recall. That prohibits using one for routine signalling unless I want everyone mad at me.

I just use the handle of my dive knive: the end is metal & rapping it against my tank makes a fairly loud noise.

~SubMariner~

hey PUG you here

Enter the Britanic is on now on the History Channel

it is 10pm on the 29th

I've just got back from diving in Ibiza. One of the dive guides there had a "Shaker". Not sure who makes them but it looked like a silver pencil but with two squared off ends. It was attached to his BCD with a clip. It had something metal inside and you gave it a Shake to make a noise. It was very effective and could be heard clearly in the water.

It did actually say Shaker on the casing so it's probably called something similar if your interested.

Those push button attention getters do not make you any friends. They are extremely annoying. Metal on metal tapping works quite well.

What is your usually way to signal your buddy underwater, if he is at a distance away and not looking at your direction?
Anyone has used those Hammerhead or Subduck product? What is your experience on such product?
Thank you for your advice.

I've never used those, but there are a lot fo DIY things you can use.
I use an old fiberglass tentpole cut in half. I have attached a wrist strap, doubles as a pointer and tank tapper.

You can also make a shaker with minimal effort. Piece of pipe with two caps and a ball bearing inside.

Spare Double-ender.
All good attention getters and not too annoying.

I quickly flash my torch in their mask's peripheral. Whether clear or black they usually see the glare.
If it's dark enough for contrast I flash the light at where ever they're looking at.

If for some reason they keep giving me a view of their good side, I'll either tap on my tank with a double ender, or I swim up and give them a light two finger squeeze.

If my buddy's too far away then I start to think about how I even got into that situation in the first place.
I prefer to always be aware of my buddy's location and do a visual check before moving to another location. Ideally I'll stay within a visual line of sight.
I ask my buddy to follow this guideline as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom