How do you protect yourself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seawalker

Reaction score
So what kind of protection do you use while exploring the unpredictable and thrilling waters? I've seen various selections of knives and such, and videos with guys holding electric prods. Anyone carry those? Most of the time it seems I see folks completely "unarmed" :confused: Wouldn't they feel vulnerable?

Light sabre of course, silly.

Because the vast, vast majority of creatures in the ocean run away when approached by a diver.

Most injuries incurred by divers with respect to marine life come from accidental contact with a critter.

Please don't become a slave to the "a shark's gonna git me!!!" mentality.

the K

I carry a simple folding dive knife, but I've never had the urge after almost 100 dives to whip it out and stab a shark. I believe the best thing to arm yourself with is a good case of common sense. Good judgement and being aware of your surroundings should prevent anything from going bad. Unless its the pirates, then I use a hip mounted .45:eyebrow:

Seawalker:
So what kind of protection do you use while exploring the unpredictable and thrilling waters? I've seen various selections of knives and such, and videos with guys holding electric prods. Anyone carry those? Most of the time it seems I see folks completely "unarmed" :confused: Wouldn't they feel vulnerable?
Protection? From what?
The knife is not to protect you from denizens of the deep :shakehead
It really won't help much against sharks... :jaws:
Cutting instruments, like knives (or better yet, scissors) are for some measure of protection against entanglement. Knives look cool, but are not for fighting (against man, nor beast). James Bond was a joke.

And underwater cattle prods? Oh, please... :1poke:

I wear protection, but it has more to do with exposure or contact with rusted human artifacts, like wrecks. I'll wear gloves. I carry a small knife and ER scissors. I'll wear skins, or rash suit, or other for protection. But I take a buddy along :eyebrow: as protection against "feeling vulnerable." That gives me a 50/50 chance the shark will eat him, instead...:11:

BD

The only protection you need is your (dry)suit all the rest is for mto get your $$$$$
I can safely say this because I'm on the other side of the ocean and it won't hurt
my shop:D

You should look into one of these compressed gas knives. There is a video and info here.. http://www.myspace.com/waspinjection

C-4 plastic explosive is very effective as well.

Diver Dennis:
C-4 plastic explosive is very effective as well.

C-4 is so 2005

divers in the know use Semtex (the older formula, without ethylene glycol dinitrate, of course)

:eyebrow:

H2Andy:
C-4 is so 2005

divers in the know use Semtex (the older formula, without ethylene glycol dinitrate, of course)

:eyebrow:

Does the Department of Homeland Security know about you? :D

Back
Top Bottom