No Dive Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey i was wandering your always tought not to fly directaly after a dive, but is there such a thing of no dive time after a long flight

jcm:
Hey i was wandering your always tought not to fly directaly after a dive, but is there such a thing of no dive time after a long flight

You're the guy who was sleeping during the " in class " OW course !!!!:D :no

As soon as you're off the plane, you can jump onto the charter boat and get wet !!!

The problem is going up, not coming down...

So if you've been up, you can go down as far as you want... within reason, of course! But if you've been down, you have to be careful about how far you go up... in a plane or in a car or on foot...

Going down too fast isn't the problem (provided you can keep yourself equalized), but coming up too fast/too soon can be deadly- and in a plane, the pressure (though less rapidly than when you are underwater) does decrease- so in essence if you go up in a plane it is as though your previous dives were much, much deeper than they were in actuality. And the time you wait land-locked before you fly is, in essence, another safety stop (time to deco).

Yes, all you super-technical dive Gods... I know this was not a perfect explanation, but it's good enough to get the point across, no?

And when I say "no?" I'm not actually asking. Please, no quoting, arguing, or otherwise tearing my comments apart.

jcm:

You say "Is there such a thing.." Well maybe in some exotic cases that almost never happen. But in general you can dive at the airport if there is water.

Thinking about exotic cases.... Perhaps if the plane suffered an explosive decompression and then landed safely. I could see where a door blowing off the plane might bend a passinger as they went from nearly 1 ATM to near vacuum instantly

Sometimes they make a big deal about the possiblity of dehydration at some resorts, but there is no gas-loading problem.

If there is no one calling the shots for you, just make sure you drink some water during the flight and after the flight.
jcm:

ChrisA:
You say "Is there such a thing.." Well maybe in some exotic cases that almost never happen. But in general you can dive at the airport if there is water.

Thinking about exotic cases.... Perhaps if the plane suffered an explosive decompression and then landed safely. I could see where a door blowing off the plane might bend a passinger as they went from nearly 1 ATM to near vacuum instantly
That’s not a problem either. You would more than likely be out scouring the countryside for your carry-on gear that shot out the open hole.

But if you weren’t you would have to find a shop to rent gear, which takes time.

Then you get ready to show your certification card and realize that the unbelted SOB in the seat next to you flew out the open door with your billfold in hand.

Now you have to apply for a duplicate card, which takes a couple of weeks before you can dive. So as you can see there still isn’t a problem.

Personally if the frickin plane did something like that diving would be the last thing on my mind. When we hit the ground no matter how hard or how soft it was. I’d be out planting my lips on terra firma rather than kissing my ***** good-by.

Gary D. :D

Call DAN if you are curious about this.
As far as I know,,,,fly, land and dive, dive dive till you have to go home again.
K

Trucker Girl:
Yes, all you super-technical dive Gods... I know this was not a perfect explanation, but it's good enough to get the point across, no?

And when I say "no?" I'm not actually asking. Please, no quoting, arguing, or otherwise tearing my comments apart.

She's right, you know:)...You tell um....

No fly after diving 12 to 24 hours, if you want more detail go DAN online education here the link http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

jcm:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom