Ymca Standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello to all,,,I have a question about YMCA Open Water Instructor standards. Can a person keep an instructor card in good standing if they have not dived in 2 years. I would think that most agencies demand that a working instructor dive on a regular basis to keep their skills sharp. If a person has not dived in a few years, can they teach???? My question pertains to YMCA, but info on what the other agencies do will help also.
:huh:

YMCA requires an instructor to teach at least two classes and certify at least 6 students each year to remain active.

How about the instructors personal diving ??? Can they teach and NOT do open water diving. I know of one YMCA instructor that teaches in the classroom and pool, but has not done an open water dive in almost two years.

How can they certify students without OW checkout dives? :huh:

TheRedHead:
How can they certify students without OW checkout dives? :huh:
The same way the universal referral system works. The instructor of record is the one who did the academic and pool instruction. The referring instructor is the one who takes the student to OW and certifies that the student satisfactorily completed the required OW skills.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

caver:
How about the instructors personal diving ??? Can they teach and NOT do open water diving. I know of one YMCA instructor that teaches in the classroom and pool, but has not done an open water dive in almost two years.

Theoretically possible if he refers all his students to another instructor. YMCA wouldn't know if he were referring students to another instructor. If I personally knew of such a situation, I'd report it to the state coordinator to investigate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom