Is it just me or do you feel the same way when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezero

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay I dont know if this is a feeling of being lazy or what but everytime I am about to go diving, I look forward to being underwater, but not loooking forward to setting up all the dive gear and setting my cam up.

Once I am in the water, I do not look forward to coming back to the surface, now is this feeling just me or do you guys feel the same way....if only we could be down there forever.

Well like anyone wants to work! :)

I'm more of the personality: More Work = More play. It just seems a small sacrifice for all the time I got to spend underwater.

........ of course the more bottom time the better. It's not like I want to do those things.

divezero:
Okay I dont know if this is a feeling of being lazy or what but everytime I am about to go diving, I look forward to being underwater, but not loooking forward to setting up all the dive gear and setting my cam up.

Once I am in the water, I do not look forward to coming back to the surface, now is this feeling just me or do you guys feel the same way....if only we could be down there forever.

I love setting up my gear and the anticipation of the dive. Hate schlepping it to the water, especially on a beach dive with 100 yards of soft sand to walk through. Never want the dive to end and have to get out of the water...then walk back through the surf, up the beach and back across the sand...really hate that part.

Gearing up is a great thing, in my opinion. There is nothing like the feeling of assembling your outfit, strapping everything together, stringing things around yourself, clipping things on your D-rings, checking purge buttons, verifying tank contents, etc. That all adds up to the excitement of the dive (and your ego as the non-divers on the beach watch!). The haul and un-equip on the beach and then schlep back to the car, however, is not appealing.

Things I don't like: Gearing up takes too darn long. I'm too excited to get into the water. Feels like hours to get everything out, inventoried, checked, assembled, tested, donned, and carried to the water.

Breakdown/refit isnt as bad. It's time spent toward my surface interval. When I completely done for the day, I'm so happy I don't care about the time it takes to break down and stow equipment. Time to reflect on what I've done and seen.

FD

None of it bothers me. Sure I wish the dive would never end but we usually go past an hour and that's enought to make me happy since the next dive is usually not that far away.

I suppose a long hike on soft sand would be a little tiring but I can't think of a local site like that. We have hills, sea walls to scale, loose stone covered grades to go up and down as well as slimy rocks and soon snow and ice by not much loose sand at our dives sites

Even cleaning gear can be considered an "extension of the experience.".

Pete

I have done the beach carry and that is difficult but I do like the set up process it builds the excitement level... Get to spend that time with a dive buddy to get to know them and chat about the dive that is coming up...

Get to spend that time with a dive buddy to get to know them and chat about the dive that is coming up...

Absolutely....in an insta-buddy situation this builds confidence in eachother as you talk and plan while doing the long-haul.

There are few things I dislike more about diving then the hassle and nerves involved with getting my gear together and setting up on an over-crowded California dive boat. The awsome dive that follows always makes up for it though.

I like gearing up, but then I also enjoy washing my car.

Back
Top Bottom