Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PADI never thought of this?????

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos

PADI never thought of this?????

So why doesn't PADI or other agencies make a C-Card that lists all of your certs. and respective numbers on one card? Everytime you get a new cert. a new card with the new cert and all your other certs. could be listed at once. It would make things easier for the diver who would only have to carry one card and it would be a good way for PADI to "put another dollar in". I could see one card being used for those of us with certs. from multiple agencies also.

I hate having a bunch of cards to carry around and keep track of. Stuffing my wallet or logbook with plastic cards is crazy.

I would buy one of these cards. Why not.
    A series of unrecognized mistakes does not constitute experience.

I'm a NMOF and proud of it.

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Sounds like a great idea, i'd buy one too!
    Conor

Homo Bonae Voluntatis
    Go Red - Support SB!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    I would be possible to do, theoretically.... practically a whole different ball game. This would mean a central database with all certifications, or at least a network of linked databases.......

Most agencies have some issues with issuing their own cards, can you imagine if they then also have to track other agencies cards? Then there are the politics.... ...

Probably too cumbersome for many. Just take your cards that have the most benefit. If AOW, no need to carry OW. If adv. Nitrox, no need to carry Nitrox and so forth.
    Meng-Tze

Frequent Poster

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99

OASIS - Open Standards

This could be an extention of OASIS and a Standard format created for all of the industry to use. This would also facilitate the ability to look-up and validate worldwide online. Neat idea, might run into some snags with the EU private information passing over the borders, and possibly with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). But I'm sure that could be overcome.
    PADI OW '89, PADI AOW '92, Medic First Aid
    Hawaii Kona Big Island, Florida Keys, Cayman Islands, Bahamas, Great Lakes, Midwest

Regular of the Pub

snarky commentor

Photos
    PADI will actually answer you if you email them. (from the times I've emailed them before).

we should all email them and ask them this. Just email webmaster@padi.com and ask them to forward your question to the appropiate person.

BTW.. Padi already has a database of all the cards you've gotten. You can even look it up online and see all your PADI certificaitons (under the lost card section).

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Meng_Tze
    I would be possible to do, theoretically.... practically a whole different ball game. This would mean a central database with all certifications, or at least a network of linked databases.......

Most agencies have some issues with issuing their own cards, can you imagine if they then also have to track other agencies cards? Then there are the politics.... ...

Probably too cumbersome for many. Just take your cards that have the most benefit. If AOW, no need to carry OW. If adv. Nitrox, no need to carry Nitrox and so forth.
    Forget about any cross agency cooperation or agreements.
    But why not for all certifications within the agency?
    i.e. Your Latest PADI card would have ALL your PADI certifictions.
    Kind of like some states due with Motor Vehical licenses.
    You have a single license but it shows if you have
    other things like a motorcycle a license all on the same
    single piece of plastic.

--- bill

Tech Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Heck, I would be happy if they just put AOW, EAN, deep, and Rescue on the recreational cards. I do not think I need Boat diver, underwater naturalist, photographer, etc... on the card.

Just put the stuff you might need to show proof of on a trip on one card that you can show a DM or boat captain.
    Diver Master, Master Diver! Trimix too.

"An unrecognized series of errors does NOT constitute experience"- L.G. Stanfield, circa 2000

Registered

seeking enlightenment

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by WVDiver
    So why doesn't PADI or other agencies make a C-Card that lists all of your certs. and respective numbers on one card? Everytime you get a new cert. a new card with the new cert and all your other certs. could be listed at once. It would make things easier for the diver who would only have to carry one card and it would be a good way for PADI to "put another dollar in". I could see one card being used for those of us with certs. from multiple agencies also.

I hate having a bunch of cards to carry around and keep track of. Stuffing my wallet or logbook with plastic cards is crazy.

I would buy one of these cards. Why not.
    My SSI Advanced card has all my specialities listed and the number of dives I had when it was issued, which in practice means I only carry one card and never have to show a logbook.
    "We have not succeeded in answering all of your problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things."

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by DivingCRNA
    Heck, I would be happy if they just put AOW, EAN, deep, and Rescue on the recreational cards. I do not think I need Boat diver, underwater naturalist, photographer, etc... on the card.

Just put the stuff you might need to show proof of on a trip on one card that you can show a DM or boat captain.
    My point exactly.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by miketsp
    My SSI Advanced card has all my specialities listed and the number of dives I had when it was issued, which in practice means I only carry one card and never have to show a logbook.
    See I knew someone should have done this by now. SSI has it together. I don't have any SSI certs. but I have several other agenices besides PADI. Does SSI list other agency certs. on their cards, or do you know?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast