Dive Boat Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Brad

Reaction score
Not to long ago I heard a story from a friend that occured on a dive trip. It seemed they had a rather anxious Captain who wanted to get the divers in and out and himself back to the bar. On this occation two of the divers stepped off the dive boat at the prompting of the captain, directly onto another diver.......causing some uncomfortable moments and some colorful use of the english language.

Now I'm the first one to admit that as divers we are really responsible for our own actions, however, you would hope that as a responsible Dive Master / Captain that the divers safety always comes first. Evidently it didn't in this case.

What thoughts to you have on Dive Boat Etiquette........what to do and what not to do on Dive Boats? Give us some great examples of both.

Happy Diving

I don't even use mask rinse buckets anymore because there are vastly more people who misuse them than who use them correctly. The mask rinse bucket should have clean (fresh or salt doesn't matter) water with no soap or defog in it. The purpose of the bucket is to rinse soap/defog off your mask, not put it on. If everyone would dip their mask in the bucket to get a mask full of water and then clean their mask away from the bucket, the mask rinse bucket would stay nice and clean for everyone. Does this happen? No, the first person to the bucket, slams their mask down in the bucket, sloshes it around and gets the water nice and soapy, rendering it useless for it's intended purpose. Why don't people engage their brains?

The captain could scream until he was blue in the face and I wouldn't jump in on top of another diver.

Scuba Brad:
What thoughts to you have on Dive Boat Etiquette........what to do
Keep your gear neat and in a small area not thrown all over the deck.
Look before entering the water.
Make way if people who are on the verge of seasickness are geared up and want to get off the boat first and on the boat last.

Scuba Brad:
and what not to do on Dive Boats?
Install a winch.

Ber :lilbunny:

Brad, I know what you are talking about. I use to dive on a boat out of West Palm years ago that was like that. Nothing pleasant about the commands to get in the water and drop. Even if they conflicted with a dive instructor's commands for his/her students. I stopped using that boat and I've heard that they've gone out of business. The bad part is, the people who worked that boat may be running a similar boot camp on another boat.

Scuba Brad:
Not to long ago I heard a story from a friend that occured on a dive trip. It seemed they had a rather anxious Captain who wanted to get the divers in and out and himself back to the bar. On this occation two of the divers stepped off the dive boat at the prompting of the captain, directly onto another diver.......causing some uncomfortable moments and some colorful use of the english language.

What thoughts to you have on Dive Boat Etiquette........what to do and what not to do on Dive Boats? Give us some great examples of both.

Happy Diving

I've never met a Captain who rushed divers into the water. The exception is drift diving when one must be ready, and the group needs to enter quickly one after another to avoid getting seperated at the surface, descend as a group, and to hit the reef/wreck before they blow past it.

Generally when drift diving the DM and Captain have a bit more strick timelines, and they EXPECT the divers to be ready to get into the pool when the signal is given.

As to Etiquette, common courtesy, and common sense along with a bit of experience, or the help of experienced divers/DM/Captain is about all that is necessary. If you can't get ready quickly, then suit up prior to the 10 minute call. If you are packed on a dive boat and in the front of the boat you may choose to wait (if the dive allows), and allow those on both sides to gear up rather than to squeeze into your spot at the discomfort of others (I've done this a few times).

Most divers like to get their first tank setup with BC, weight (if integrated), and Reg ASAP once on the boat. I put my fins right under my seat, hang my mask on my tank valve (until I'm ready to wear it MOF style! :rofl3: ) get into the bottom half of my suit, put on my booties, and am ready to don the top half of the suit, zipper up, climb into the BC, and put on the fins once the 10 minute call is made.

Keep your gear under YOUR seat and not spread out across the boat. Use the rinse buckets as instructed, don't just throw your mask in the camera bucket because it's closer. Listen to the Dive briefing, and pay attention to what the DM/Captain expects as to Bottom time, and safety. Discuss the dive with your buddy prior to the 10 minute warning.

Follow the rules when using the head, and if you need to puke, do it where the Captain has instructed which is generally near the back of the boat over the side. Ask questions, pay attention, be polite to others and treat them as you would like to be treated. If you are a new diver, ask for help.

Do NOT joke around when the captain is doing roll call after the dive has ended. Respect that the DM/Captain have a serious job to perform, and while boats are fun, and enjoying the trip is fine, recognize that when the crew is trying to communicate with the divers about the site, boat safety, ect. , even if you've heard it 100 times before, keep quiet, and show respect for those who may not have been on the boat.

Boats are generally easy unless they are crowded. I can not imaging someone jumping on top of another diver. I doubt that was the captain's intention even if he wanted to get back to shore.

It would be interesting to hear the other side of this story, as there are always two sides, and the old I heard this from someone who knows a guy side is generally embellished. :mooner:

RonFrank:
I've never met a Captain who rushed divers into the water. The exception is drift diving when one must be ready, and the group needs to enter quickly one after another to avoid getting seperated at the surface, descend as a group, and to hit the reef/wreck before they blow past it.

Backrolling off a 6 pack is the best way to achieve this. I don't like cattle boats at all, but loathe them for drift dives.

Scuba Brad:
On this occation two of the divers stepped off the dive boat at the prompting of the captain, directly onto another diver...
Like a green light at an intersection, that's permission to go, not a command to go...

Roak

Walter's suggestions on masks are some I've adopted. So many throw their masks in the buckets to soak between dives. Worse, into the camera bucket! :11:

Don/Walter, I don't think I've ever heard a briefing that included etiquette on the rinse buckets... just that this one's for masks and this one's for cameras. But they always make sure they explain the head - what does not go into it and how to flush it.

Perhaps if the dive boat folks spent some time suggesting to people how to use things and share space with other divers, dive boats wouldn't be a couple of four letter words. At least those comments would be better accepted than if another diver tried to tell everyone how things are done.

Back
Top Bottom