Decompression Class - 1st Training Dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik Il Rosso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What a day !!!

The dive was pretty simple, 10 minutes at -40 metres, resurfacing and switching to O2 at -6 metres, my instructor wanted to see if I could follow the specified run time...

No troubles at all with narcosis, I was completly focused and resurfacing was pretty good up to -21 metres then I saw the anchor line and one part of my mind was telling me :"Grab it as you have always done in the past" the other part was telling me :"There is no need to grab it"...

There is where I had a few problems but my instructor understood that my mind was fighting and took me away from the anchor line...

Switching to O2 was a piece of cake, no troubles at all, no bad reactions...

The last 6 meters were also quite good...

I must admit that I could not have handled another task today I was a little bit under pressure...

My computer looked strange to me in "Gauge Mode", I was searching for the NDL but I couldn't see it on the display...

I had a slate on my wrist for the first time and it was not easy to follow the specified run time...

Last but not least I wanted to dump my BP/W using the rear OPV but when I tried to reach it I found the decompression bottle and not the string, lack of muscle memory...

I had to use the the power inflator to dump it but I moved a little bit from horizontal to vertical...

Ok, Rome wasn't built in a day, too many new things to be handled at once, the dive profile is certainly not so good on paper but I know I can improve...

Next time I hope it will be better...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Erik Il Rosso:
What a day !!!

The dive was pretty simple, 10 minutes at -40 metres, resurfacing and switching to O2 at -6 metres, my instructor wanted to see if I could follow the specified run time...

No troubles at all with narcosis, I was completly focused and resurfacing was pretty good up to -21 metres then I saw the anchor line and one part of my mind was telling me :"Grab it as you have always done in the past" the other part was telling me :"There is no need to grab it"...

There is where I had a few problems but my instructor understood that my mind was fighting and took me away from the anchor line...

Switching to O2 was a piece of cake, no troubles at all, no bad reactions...

The last 6 meters were also quite good...

I must admit that I could not have handled another task today I was a little bit under pressure...

My computer looked strange to me in "Gauge Mode", I was searching for the NDL but I couldn't see it on the display...

I had a slate on my wrist for the first time and it was not easy to follow the specified run time...

Last but not least I wanted to dump my BP/W using the rear OPV but when I tried to reach it I found the decompression bottle and not the string, lack of muscle memory...

I had to use the the power inflator to dump it but I moved a little bit from horizontal to vertical...

Ok, Rome wasn't built in a day, too many new things to be handled at once, the dive profile is certainly not so good on paper but I know I can improve...

Next time I hope it will be better...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

The way you rig the deco bottle can make a big difference. I prefer to leave a bit of a leash at the back for the boltsnap, or add an extra double-ender to it when no leash is available, so that the bottle is easy to move out of the way when checking your SPG (if you have it clipped down there) or doing other things.

Nice one Erik,

Out of curiosity. what gas did you you for bottom?

Meng_Tze:
Nice one Erik,

Out of curiosity. what gas did you you for bottom?

Air, decompression gasses Nitrox 50 & Oxygen, maximum depth allowed 50 metres...

I hate deep air, next year Normoxic Trimix...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

*Floater*:
The way you rig the deco bottle can make a big difference. I prefer to leave a bit of a leash at the back for the boltsnap, or add an extra double-ender to it when no leash is available, so that the bottle is easy to move out of the way when checking your SPG (if you have it clipped down there) or doing other things.

You are absolutely right !!!

I used rented gear and this is why I hate rented gear...

I want my deco bottles to be properly rigged and in the future they will be...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

*Floater*:

What do you mean by "a bit of a leash?" Do you mean a leash that you clip to the d-ring, or just a longer tail on the deco bottle?

do it easy:
What do you mean by "a bit of a leash?" Do you mean a leash that you clip to the d-ring, or just a longer tail on the deco bottle?

Take a look at the bottom clip. It has a short leash on it:

stage_front_clips_r.jpg

The leash gives you leeway to push the bottle out of the way when checking your SPG or venting the wing. I'd upload a pic of deco bottles rigged without the leash (from my tech course), but the upload function isn't working right now. Sufffice it to say they are a PITA.

*Floater*:
Take a look at the bottom clip. It has a short leash on it:

[picture]

The leash gives you leeway to push the bottle out of the way when checking your SPG or venting the wing. I'd upload a pic of deco bottles rigged without the leash (from my tech course), but the upload function isn't working right now. Sufffice it to say they are a PITA.

Thanks, that's what I thought you meant. I do this too- I can roll the bottle underneath me to make more room around the d-ring. If it's just one bottle or the inside bottle, I'll wrap the "leash" around the "handle" to shorten it up a little.

Erik Il Rosso:

Although you should be able to hold your depth without it, was there any special reason you weren't supposed to use the anchor line?

Terry

Web Monkey:
Although you should be able to hold your depth without it, was there any special reason you weren't supposed to use the anchor line?

Terry

Training standard requires that the diver must be able to resurface without touching/using the anchor line...

During the first training dive you can touch the anchor line only for a limited amount of time and for minor adjustments, starting from the second one it will be not allowed to touch it...

I think they want me to be prepared for the worst...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom